Scaling Recipe for Lower Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhoffer-Knopfe

Reaction score
When scaling a recipe for lower mash efficiency than called for in a recipe do I just increase base malts and leave the specialty malts the same or do I increase specialty malts as well? It seems to me that if I increase the specialty malts to keep the percentage of specialty malts that the recipe calls for it may turn out to be too sweet.

.......what is your goal?

Mash at 155 or so and you will get less fermentables without changing the recipe.

Just the base malts, unless it's vienna or munich or another specialty malt that requires a mash.

Most of the roasted malts don't require mashing as the roasting process caramelizes the sugars. You should keep your steeping grains and roasted malts exactly the same amounts unless you re-scale the batch size up or down.

Just the base malts, unless it's vienna or munich or another specialty malt that requires a mash.

Most of the roasted malts don't require mashing as the roasting process caramelizes the sugars. You should keep your steeping grains and roasted malts exactly the same amounts unless you re-scale the batch size up or down.

Thank you. I made an IIPA that for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it was so sweet, makes sense to me now.

Back