Hefeweisen recipe, need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank1598

Reaction score
We're trying to do an hefeweisen type of beer.

In our recipe, we want to add raw wheat to the mash. Should we boil it before putting in it the mash our should we simply boil it at the temperature of the mash?

We have some oat in our mash, will it add a good taste?

We will take 6 row barley malt (50% of the mash) what should be the temperature steps of saccarification?

I have heard that unmalted wheat and barley gelatinize at normal mash temps. I have never tried it myself but I generally use flaked wheat whenever a recipe calls for raw/unmalted wheat. Requires no milling and can add straight to mash. Usually mash my wheats on the light side of 148-151 degrees and have had good results.

I have never used plain raw wheat, but if you can get some torrified wheat you will be happy with the results, adds that nice tang at the end and can be mashed at normal temps. Oats in a wheat are fine, I use them in some of my Wit's and Heffe's, just keep them to a minimal portion of the grist. As for mash temp, you can do a single infusion around 152-154.

Back