Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
Is it normal to have any condensation inside my glass carboy during secondary fermentation?

Ok cool. Thanks. Its my first batch. Got a little worried. Still worried about the little white things moving up and down, but hopefully they will eventually just settle out.

Those white things are yeast clumps. When the yeast have done their share they clump up and when the activity settles down they drop to the bottom. Give your beer plenty of time an a lot of the yeast will settle out. If you bottle too soon, you may risk bottle bombs but for certain you will have a big layer of yeast in each bottle. By waiting the yeast settles in your fermenter and won't get in your bottles.

I'm actually kegging. That is the main reason that I used a secondary. Thanks for the comments.

The waiting applies for kegging too. You don't want a lot of yeast in the bottom of the key or you will get cloudy beer everytime you pour. By letting most of it settle in the fermenter you will only get a little yeast on the first one or two pours.

Back