Storing washed yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
Brewed a Bavarian Heffe with Wyeast 3068 (by the way awesome yeast for this style) I am going to wash it and hopefully reuse it. After I have washed and have a clean slurry how long will it keep in the fridge? Is there anything I can do to make it last longer?

moorerm04 said:
Brewed a Bavarian Heffe with Wyeast 3068 (by the way awesome yeast for this style) I am going to wash it and hopefully reuse it. After I have washed and have a clean slurry how long will it keep in the fridge? Is there anything I can do to make it last longer?

I have used that yeast up to 4 months later with no ill effects however I would not consider using it a second harvest. Because it is a true top crop and very low flocculator it will not perform as well through subsequent fermentations and attenuation will suffer. My experience and opinion of course:)

I have searched for the same question. Some will say its good for up to a year. Others wont. Try one batch per month and tell us how it works!! :D

I've used it a year later and I made a healthy starter, worked like a charm. I have some Wyeast 2112 from a year ago that I'm making a starter for now.

A year!? Crazy! Are you guys freezing in glycol?

Don't use glycol that will kill you! That is automotive antifreeze!

It is Glycerin that you are referring to.

I have made starters from yeast slurry a few months old and have made some from frozen yeast 6 months +. Since I started brewing just over a year ago I don't have anything as old as a year.

I have heard of people making successful starters from washed yeast a year old.

kh54s10 said:
Don't use glycol that will kill you! That is automotive antifreeze!

It is Glycerin that you are referring to.

Depends on which glycol. Ethylene glycol can kill you. Propylene glycol is considered non-toxic/low toxicity (not contradictory as almost anything is toxic in sufficiently large quantities). BOTH are used as automotive antifreeze.

But yes, brewers will want to use glycerin. It's also known as glycerol, hence the confusion.

Back