Stalled Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdsarch

Reaction score
I brewed up a pale ale, that looks like the fermentation has stalled a little. The original gravity was 1.060 and the final gravity should be around 1.010-1.015. I am using pacman yeast with an estimated aa at 80%.

once fermentation started i moved the carboy to my basement. We had a cold spell here in the northeast last week, and the temperature in the basement dropped to 55-58 degrees. I didnt have the carboy covered with a blanket or in a box...

I measured the gravity a few weeks ago and it was 1.022. I measured again this weekend and it was still at 1.022. I figured time would let the yeast clean up a little.

I have a device similar to a brew belt that i put on the carboy. This raised the temperature to about 70 degrees. I have seen some airlock activity.

I am going to measure the gravity again tonight since it has been about 48 hours since i added the brew belt.

Does anyone think there could be adverse taste affects to the stalled fermentation? Is this the correct procedure? Does anyone else have a similar problem with a cold basement?

You might need to give it some more time at the increased temperature. The increased airlock activity is most likely due to the increased temperature driving out CO2 already in solution in your beer (Its a Gas Law thing). I highly recommend a temperature controller and some way to keep your beer warm or cool as needed. I think in one of Jamil's podcasts they talked about upgrades to brewing and he would pick fermentation temperature control before most other upgrades. As far as this batch the higher gravity will come across as increased sweetness and body. You may or may not like it depending on your preference.

GT

Back