Help! Holes in Hop Leaves!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFishy

Reaction score
Oh no! I planted 3 rhizomes (1st time) on April 1 and one of my cascades is having a problem!

diseasedcascade2.jpg

Question #1: Some kind of holes in the leaves, apparently. What are they? Should I be worried?

I inspected the plant and planter and couldn't find anything except for this bug on the fuggles trellis.

I have two other plants, a cascade and a fuggles, that have had no / very little damage but I'm not amazed by their growth. 3 weeks in and I have had about 4" of growth from the cascades and from my jumbo fuggles, maybe 7".

cascade1.jpg

fuggles.jpg

Question #2: Do you think the following could improve growth?

-Cutting back the watering schedule from 2 gallons to 1 gallon a day (apparently the smaller ones need a little less water early in the season)
-Adding fish emulsion fertilizer at 1/2 strength ( it's 4-1-1 ), 1 tbsp / gal / per plant.

===
Just for reference, these are all planted about 8' apart, in half-barrels full of topsoil. Nothing but water has been added. Thanks for any help.

Also, you know what would be awesome? A photo-index of hop diseases.

Nice set up with the Marigolds! I hope this information helps:

Those holes are bugs eating the leaves. I typically equate holes in the middle of a leave with Earwigs - they usually eat in that fasion and come out at night. Ever seen one? They are gross.

Now.... bear in mind that your hop plant has evolved to grow faster than most insects can eat, and still produce cones. Aphips feeding on your cones directly might be a different story, but something easting the leaves like that is not really a big deal. Share.... its a small world.

I digress.... what can be done if you are worried, or if the problem gets much worse? Well, Diatomaceous earth is a good choice to sprinkle around the base of the bine. This will repel / kill pretty much any feeder like the one you are finding. If you have slugs use slug bait... it could be slugs.

Might be wrong but your bug looks like a queen ant. Just flying around looking to start a colony

The damage to your leaves looks like slug to me. Since they are nocturnal they won't be there in the day to take pictures. Strip the lower leaves and little less water

Or those bites are from hoppers if they have emerged in your area and no worries as the bines with warmth will outgrow hopper damage

Thanks everyone! Great advice...and amazing response time. Just knowing whats up really helps to quiet my fears.

The diatomaceous earth sounds like a good idea either way, and I think I will put some slug bait / eggshells around the base of the barrels. And I guess I'll remove the dead leaves too. I do think it might be hoppers, I see those often around here, I will look up how to combat them. Also that kinda does look like one of those ants. I see drones all over right now.

I spend so much time at Russian River I haven't had a chance to do much gardening. Favorite brewery by far. Vinnie Cilurzo is my hero; he recommends bat guano...

Actually I do have some experience gardening...except its all under water. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/mrfishy/aquarium/tank_aug.jpg

If you spot any praying mantises and/or ladybugs around the yard, relocate them to your hops.

Maybe not in exactly the same area. The mantises would probably snack on the ladybugs.

What is the point cutting leaf of the plant. The leaves produce food for the plant. The holes are from a critter snacking. For slugs I use a cup of beer, slugs love beer. Aphids suck out the plants sap and Japanese beetles will destroy the plant.

Those holes are bugs eating the leaves. I typically equate holes in the middle of a leave with Earwigs - they usually eat in that fasion and come out at night. Ever seen one? They are gross.

Man, I got MILLIONS of earwigs in my yard, especially where my hops are gonna grow. Hope they stay away.

Another natural remedy fro aphids is tomato leaves, or better yet (if you have it) stinging nettle soaked in water for a couple of days. Strain then squirt it on the plant.

FWIW, I get these holes all the time on my hops. It's irritating and detracts from the beauty of the plant itself but does not affect cone production at all... trust me! I have more than enough cones at the end of the season. :/

What is the point cutting leaf of the plant. The leaves produce food for the plant. The holes are from a critter snacking. For slugs I use a cup of beer, slugs love beer. Aphids suck out the plants sap and Japanese beetles will destroy the plant.

Stripping the bottom foot or so of leaves is pretty common practice. It cuts down on bugs, mildew and other nasties.

When you already have a lot of damaged leaves lower down, you remove them because damaged leaves are more susceptible to further insect or other damage.

Latest posts

Back