Stove top Pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schott703

Reaction score
Used a "recipe" I found here for pasteurizing via stove top water bath. 190 deg. soak bottles for 10 min. (Heat off) I did this with 5-32oz flip tip bottles. Internal water temp of a test bottle after 5 min was 146. After 10, 158. This worked great for 2 batches of non carbonated. First batch of lightly carbonated, I blew 2 bottles at min 8. The other 3 made it but had deformed seals. Going to do more testing with lower temps. I will post results.

Hopefully it works lower and slower...I did it once using 500ML beer bottles with crown caps and didn't loose any tops. After doing it once I realized it was far more work than force carbing...go pick up some used soda kegs.

It could be your bottles. I had the same issues stove top pasteurizing, and it seemed to be only Anchor Steam bottles. If you make sure you use the bottles with the bigger lower lip, you should be okay. I'd still keep your lid on your kettle though, assuming it isn't glass.

reverendj1 said:
It could be your bottles. I had the same issues stove top pasteurizing, and it seemed to be only Anchor Steam bottles. If you make sure you use the bottles with the bigger lower lip, you should be okay. I'd still keep your lid on your kettle though, assuming it isn't glass.

Here is another test update. Water temp in the kettle 170 deg. Removed kettle from stove dropped in 5 32 oz bottles full of water with flip tops . After 5 min 138 deg . After 8 min 145 deg. After 10 min 149 deg. (Water temps in bottle). Conclusion: if 140 deg. For 1 min kills all yeast, your water bath need not be at 190. 170 deg water bath is safer, and could possibly be lowered another 5 deg. I just might try that tonight

Here is another test update. Water temp in the kettle 170 deg. Removed kettle from stove dropped in 5 32 oz bottles full of water with flip tops . After 5 min 138 deg . After 8 min 145 deg. After 10 min 149 deg. (Water temps in bottle). Conclusion: if 140 deg. For 1 min kills all yeast, your water bath need not be at 190. 170 deg water bath is safer, and could possibly be lowered another 5 deg. I just might try that tonight

Thanks for the test. I'll be stovetop pasteurizing again in a few weeks.

Do you like to refrigerate after the stove top method, also do you like to wait a certain amount of time to drink after this method, thanks

I had the same issues stove top pasteurizing, and it seemed to be only Anchor Steam bottles.

Beautiful bottles aren't they? I think so...but it's like they purposely make the necks fragile to keep homebrewers from using them.

I snapped 4-5 in the hand capper before I got wise and tossed them all.

Back