Starter problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebrooker

Reaction score
I have a vial of San Francisco lager yeast that is 1 year out of date. I decided to make a starter for it about 12 hours ago and it is not bubbling yet. This is my first attempt at doing a starter is there any way of telling if the yeast is dead or is it to early to tell?

Too early to tell.

A starter may take up to 3 days. With expired yeast you're supposed to add 1 day for every month past the expiration date.

I've started an expired yeast at over 1 year and it took 5 days for any activity.

This reason alone is one good reason for making starters prior to brewing...the wait. ;)

Ya, I had a wyeast smack pack that was a year past the best before date....gave it a smack..nothing for 4 days, the it took off. I have used this yeast for 3 beers (recultured) this year.
As HB 99 said, give it at 4-5 days before giving up on it. I was about to throw it out - but then saw it sewlled a bit after 4 days ...then balloned after another 12 hrs.

Cheers.

Back