Lost sour Lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbruce86

Reaction score
I just sampled a 5 year old lambic I have been aging. The beer definitely has the nose of a lambic, but it is not sour whatsoever. It is less sour that it was two years ago. Tastes really good, but is clearly not not a sour lambic.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I wonder what I should do - blending with a sour - not sure if the beer is contaminated with an acid metabolizing microbe - although I cannot find reference to such a bug.
--
dbruce86

Tapped: Oude Bruin
Tapped: Dubbel
Tapped: Porter
Fermenting: Wit
Aging: Oude Bruin
Aging: Flemish Red
Aging: Lambic
On Deck: Saison
In the Hole: Flemish Red

I have read that aging of lambics will lead to softening of the sourness, although I have never been patient or fortunate enough to experience this first hand. I was lucky enough to have several glasses of a single vintage 2007 Boon lambic this spring in Bruges, and it was quite sour and very complex, so I am suspicious of the previous allusion. Like you say, once the pH gets down to 3.2 or so, what would buffer the acidity during subsequent aging?

I suppose that blending is an excellent option, but the prospect of losing sourness once dearly attained seems quite upsetting to me.

Back