08-08-08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08-08-08 What to do?

• Brew on 08-08-08

• Drink on 08-08-08

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I propose a Russian Imperial Stout.

What do you say?

Are you with me or are you brewing piss for the neighbor's mother?

Recipe attempt number 1:

Some of the info is off. For example, the evaporation rate is more like 12% and the length of boil is 120 minutes, not 60. But we can fix all that later. This is a 20 gallon batch so use your math, or we can deal with that later as well.

8-8-8 Russian Imperial Stout 20 gallon recipe
A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
13-F Stout, Russian Imperial Stout
Min OG: 1.075 Max OG: 1.114
Min IBU: 50 Max IBU: 100
Min Clr: 30 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 20.00 Wort Size (Gal): 20.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 69.33
Anticipated OG: 1.08821 Plato: 21.162
Anticipated SRM: 57.2
Anticipated IBU: 78.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
Evaporation Rate: 12.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 22.73 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.07762 SG 18.79 Plato

Formulas Used
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
76.9 53.33 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
7.2 5.00 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.02800 450
4.8 3.33 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.03000 120
2.2 1.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.03300 120
2.2 1.50 lbs. Crystal 75L Great Britian 1.03400 75
2.2 1.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.03300 75
2.2 1.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.02900 350
2.4 1.67 lbs. Chocolate malt light Great Britain 1.03600 200
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
5.50 oz. Horizon Pellet 12.69 72.1 60 min.
6.66 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 6.5 10 min.
6.66 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 69.33
Water Qts: 27.30 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 6.82 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 0.39 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 12.37 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Your Dark Night of the Soul is the best stout(RIS or otherwise) I've brewed. I'd definitely brew it and would love to see what you come up with.
OFFTOPIC: Did you brew the flanders yet?

I'm in. I'll be brewing again by then, and hopefully I'll be All-Grain by then. At the very least I'll be PM-ing.

I'm in. I am getting married that day so I would love to have it in bottles prior and then crack open a bottle that day and repeat every year after...

I have been looking for something that would store well. It is like you read my mind and made it up for me.

Brewpastor said:
I propose a Russian Imperial Stout.

What do you say?

Are you with me or are you brewing piss for the neighbor's mother?

A Russian Imperial sounded good until you mentioned piss for my neighbor's mother. I vote for that!

:p

I say a wheat beer.:p with dry yeast

J/k I would be down with a RIS maybe with some oak thrown into the mix.

An RIS probably needs to condition for 4-6 months right? So we would be brewing this one a bit earlier? Sounds like a great idea, I've been wanting to make one, and definately like to work together with you all to make a beer like this.

I think the baseline recipe should come from a higher power (bp) and you either make it ready for 8.8.8. or brew it then.

I was hyped for the 6.6.6; 7.7.7. and then I personally got bored with the banter and did notta.

rdwj said:
A Russian Imperial sounded good until you mentioned piss for my neighbor's mother. I vote for that!

:p
whats your address I have plenty and making more every minute
RIS I just LOOOVE it Whats it gonna take and what am I gonna do????
JJ

I think if I tell the wife now that I plan to brew on 8-8-8, she will be okay with it, until 8-7-8. What else can you say to something this cool. I am in.

8-8 is a Friday, cool...

I'm up for this on one condition: that it's not a group collaboration. Otherwise we'll end up with an IPA.

EDIT: Or we could be philanthropic about this and say that you get to select an ingredient for every $50 you donate to a selected charity.

I really like the idea of brewing this on the 8th. I don't care how the recipe is generated, and will be glad to write one up or contribute. For now we should decide if we want this to be an brew for 8-8-8 or a brew on 8-8-8.

Can one of the Mods add a poll to this to see if people want to brew for or on 8-8-8?

If we brew on the 8th I would suggest we do a group recipe/brew for Berrific's wedding. Maybe we each brew a batch and send him a sixer for the big day. I will run a thread on that.

I like the idea of brewing on a day that I know fellow brewers across the nation & world are also brewing the same recipe... woah, that sounds really fruity...

I guess there's going to be a poll, but I'd like to see it be a RIS Brewpastor comes up with. And waiting 10 months to brew it seems long, I'd rather see it brewed soon and saved till 8/8/8 to drink(nicely aged by then).
If the recipe is posted pre-8/8/8 I'm going to have a tough time not brewing it. Lastly, 1.080 is on the lower end for an RIS - I'm not just looking for big ABV - but what about 1.088 or 1.108? I guess that coould be a personal decision, just up the base malt a bit.
Whatever is decided, this is going to be fun.

For the impatient among us (myself included), we could brew it 8 months and 8 days prior to opening it, which would put the brew day over the New Year holiday.

As for the theme of eights - it's getting out of hand to do 8 different grains, 8 hops varieties, 8 hops additions, etc, etc, etc.

An OG of 1.088 or 1.108 would be cool. Themes of 8 work with grain weights - 8 lbs of base grain, 8 lbs of another base grain, followed by 8 oz additions of specialty grains. An 80 minute boil is probably going to be the minimum on a beer this big. Then, for our metric folk, 88 grams of hops is roughly 3 oz. Guess I'm babbling at this point.

This'll be fun no matter how it shakes out.

What I am thinking is a 1.088 with about 80 IBUs. Mash high to give it a good mouth feel - thick and velvety, maybe 154 -156 degrees. I usually have mashed lower but the judges at the nationals wanted more mouth feel, so this would give it to them, while keeping the beer at a level you could survive drinking. Use an English 2-row, like Crisp MO, keep the specialty grains at about 20% with 10% or so being roasted grains mixed between chocolates and roasted. Use higher colored crystals to get the plum/raisin tones so it mellow well with the sherry tones of aging. Maybe hops at 60, 10 and end. Use Horizons, EKG or something like that. Boil for a couple hours to concentrate the wort, maximize extraction and form melanodians (or however you spell it). I want a brew that will be finished enough to drink in 8 months, but with the strength to lay down for a few years.

Folks who had my RIS in Denver, what do you think?

I am getting thirsty...

Evan! said:
Wouldn't adding melanoidin malt help with the maltiness as well?

Yes, but I figure I will be boiling this pig long anyway. For an extract brew I would say definately throw in the melanoidin malt, but in the All-grain I could call it black or white.

Back