Over-carbed...what next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmboiler

Reaction score
Hi All,

I posted a week or so ago about a bottling mishap that resulted in 5 oz. of priming sugar being used for around 4 gal of Irish red ale. Replys ranged from "you'll be fine" to "expect bottle bombs".

Bottling was 9 days ago, and there have been no explosions to date. This evening my anticipation/impatience got the best of me and I chilled and popped open the first bottle. As expected, it tasted young and was very carbonated.

My question is...if it is already so bubbly after 9 days, what will happen next? Will it get better, worse, explode? Not sure that anything can be done at this point, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

dmboiler

I would say at this point it should be at its max carbonation. It won't go because it is trapped in the bottle.

Throw two or three in the fridge for a couple days and start drinking!

Just wait another week or more. You can't predict based on what you've seen so far.

I figured as much and don't plan on drinking any more for the next week or so. I guess I was just concerned that if they are already this carbed at 9 days, are the bottles going to start blowing soon?

Thanks for your reply.

Latest posts

Back