looking for mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
Does anyone know a place in the Houston area that sells a variety of meads? or within Texas in general?

Specs only has one type of mead that I saw (not counting the honey flaovored white wines). I would like to try to find different types with different sweetness/dryness levels to compare. My first batches are coming along nicely but I would like to sample more to be able to make an educated decision on things like backsweetening, and target FG for future batches.

Thanks

(Are there any events where mead makers have a chance to share batches of meads? I have heard here mention of competitions.)

When Texas Renissance Festival starts in October go there. They have several. But being a RenFest they are EXPENSIVE.

Also try oliverwinery.com. They do ship to Texas. Their Camelot mead is basic but look for their 'Harvest Flavors'. Those are flavored honey-wines.

There will be a mead fest on Sept. 22nd at Rohan in LaGrange. If it weren't such a far drive I'd love to go myself.

About $20 at Ren Fest a bottle. Will be checking out which ones they have this year. Picked up a bottle of Thorins at Sherwood Forest but it was horrible (made me gag and threw it out) - I got a really bad bottle not that their mead is usually bad.

The mead fest sounds great, hope some here can go. Unfortunately for me, that is the day of the Virginia game.

The meads they have in the TRF cheese shop are from out of state and can run $50-$60. That's where I got addicted to Meadery of the Rockies-Cherry and Honey mead and where I discovered Olivers.

I can't stand Thorin's. In 2011 Sherwood had Oberhoff mead too and it probably out-sold Thorin's 10:1. Then Thorin came up with that Knightly mead and they ditched Oberhof in 2012. So I started sneaking my own mead in.... :drunk: Hopefully enough of us complained and they'll bring back other brands in 2013.

The meads they have in the TRF cheese shop are from out of state and can run $50-$60. That's where I got addicted to Meadery of the Rockies-Cherry and Honey mead and where I discovered Olivers.

I can't stand Thorin's. In 2011 Sherwood had Oberhoff mead too and it probably out-sold Thorin's 10:1. Then Thorin came up with that Knightly mead and they ditched Oberhof in 2012. So I started sneaking my own mead in.... :drunk: Hopefully enough of us complained and they'll bring back other brands in 2013.
In the shop... may have to try something new besides photographing the people I know. But yeah, that is a bit more expensive though it sounds good.

Hopefully a better mead will be readily available. I know many that like the Thorins though. I'm just not one of them.

Also looks like a trip downtown is in order.

Honestly I like them all. Sweet iron dry, just depends on what I'm in the mood. I don't think that anyone of those meads are of bad quality.

Also we are on a homebrew forum, make your own! It's not that hard. Takes time though.

Made it by there the other week. It was a nice little place with their tasting room set up.

He also mentioned they are having a mead competition in September, in case anyone wants to check it out. My mead will be too young at 7 months, plus I doubt entering my very first batch would be all that successful. Could be good for a learning trip, depending on what time I have to be at that day's game.

Not sure if they have Bevmo there, but my local carries Lindisfarne, which is sweet, and sometimes another option besides Chausers. Hidden Legend and a handful of others can ship.

Places in Texas I know are making or are about to make mead:
La Buena Vida in Grapevine, TX
Rohan Meadery in La Grange, TX
Dancing Bee in Rogers, TX
Thorin's in Houston, TX
Enchanted Manor in Magnolia, TX
Texas Mead Works in Seguin, TX
Meridian Hive in Austin, TX

Also, here are all the meaderies in the US (140 of them)
http://www.meadmakers.org/meadmakers.htm

Back