35 Lbs in 10gal tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme

Reaction score
Looking to brew 10 gal batch of Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA. Problem is it will have 35 Lbs of malt, can I get it all in with strike water? I use a rubbermaid 10 gal cooler

My mashtun is a 7+ gal. I've done 17 lbs in it, but it was pretty full. I'm thinking 35 lbs in 10 gal isn't going to fit.

Dude said:
No, that'll be too much, but for future reference here is a link to calculator to help you figure out how much you can get in there.

Nice link, Dude--thanks.

BeerMe: why not just mash the amount you can fit in your tun (full amount of specialty grains plus however much base grains you can fit) and bring it up to gravity with light DME?

cweston said:
Nice link, Dude--thanks.

BeerMe: why not just mash the amount you can fit in your tun (full amount of specialty grains plus however much base grains you can fit) and bring it up to gravity with light DME?
You could also do 2 separate mashes.

I use a 54 qt retangular coolor/tun and have made a #29lb Stout before. It was alsmost to the brim. Nearly couldnt close the lid.
Your talking 10gal of water just to mash at barley over 1qt/lb. So theres your capacity right there. Oh yeah...the grain too. : )
Another possiblility is to make a slightly smaller batch (less grain) and reduce by boiling to get your OG back up closer to target.
Just throwing options out there. Once you get the math down, you can make a 3.82 Gal batch frfom a 5 gal recipe or a 8.3 gal batch from a 10 gal recipe theoretically.

Randy Mosher described a beer in Radical Brewing that was "wasteful of malt"... Double Ale... Mash in a normal beer... instead of running the wort to the boil kettle, it is reheated to strike temp again then added to another set of grains and mashed again... (if you have the room, could prolly do a parti-gyle of this and get 2 batches... one strong, one small)...

His 5 gallon recipe is:

20 lbs Maris Otter pale
2 lbs Biscuit/amber

4 oz EKG (5% AA) @ 90 min
3 oz EKG (5% AA) @ 30 min
2 oz EKG (5% AA) @ end of boil
2 oz EKG (5% AA) Dry Hop

this should give OG 1.120 (29 P)
IBUs 72
and take about 8 months to mature...

directions are: Split grain in 1/2... mash with 1.5 qt/lb @152F for one hour... vourlaf and run off... sparge to collect 4 gallons... heat to strike temp again... clean and refill tun while heating wort... repeat mash and sparge to collect 6 gallons of wort... then do your 90 minute boil...

as he says "The English would typically "cap" the mash with more (2 pounds, or 0.90 kilograms) biscuit malt and run off a normal session ale, and you can do this if you like."

Anyway, all that said... perhaps with a little math etc, you might be able to adapt that to your brew of choice...

stupid question... would 5 gallons of 1.120 be equal to 10 gallons of 1.060 if you dilute it out???

hmmm.... ProMash says that at 75% efficiency, for 5 gallons you should get 1.125 for the 22 lbs of grain and for 10 gallons you should get 1.062, so I guess that's about right then

(oh, and the 35 lbs should get you about 1.092 ish at 10 gallons w/ 75% efficiency)

math makes my head hurt!!! :drunk:

;)

Hope that helps some...
mikey

Thanks for all the replies. I need to figure out what I am going to do, lots of ideas to think about. Thanks again

Back