over shooting gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
On my last 2 breed I over shot my gravity by about 1.012 anyone know what might be the cause?

That is a hard question to answer with so little information. I have to assume your talking about OG. If both of them are off for a combined 1.012 then I would say your hydrometer is faulty. place it in water and see if it reads 0.

Did you figure your extract yield? If you are getting really good yield without stuck sparges or other problems with too fine of a crush simply adjust your recipe grain bills in the future. On a batch by batch basis if you have one that just seems much higher (OG) then you can dilute with water to bring it down to the level you want.

Drop the 1.0 off of your reading. Multiply that by the gallons you have. Divide this number by the last digits of the gravity you want and you get the amount of wort you need to have for it. For example (using your 1.012 number for reference), if I am shooting for 5.5 gallons of 1.050 wort and and come out with 5.5 gallons of 1.062 wort, 5.5*62 (current gravity)=341 (gravity units). 341/50 (desired gravity) means I need to have 6.82 gallons for the amount of sugar to read 1.050. If I top off the 5.5 gallons with 1.32 gallons of water I will hit my gravity and simply have more beer.

Well after I looked back I realized you asked about the cause, and not the remedy.

Only thing I can think of is the crush.

Back