True Brew Extract Kit Reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski65

Reaction score
Season's Greetings, fellow home brewers. So I am considering brewing a Double IPA extract kit from True Brew. I haven't read too much about these extract kits and wanted to see if anybody out there has any feedback on the quality of these extract kits. Hate to sink money and time into a product that might not return a good brew.

Btw, I'm 10 extract kits into my home brewing experience. Mostly Northern Brewer kits and a few from Williams Brewing. Overall, in my experience, NB extract kits rock! One day I'll attempt all grain brewing but for now am enjoying extract brewing and so far with fairly decent results.

Cheers. :mug:

Primary: Belgian Tripel
Secondary: Dry Irish Stout; Belgian Dubbel; Bavarian Helles
Bottled: Belgian Tripel, Belgian Dubbel; Belgian Strong Golden Ale, Bavarian Hefe, California Common
On Deck: German Ale; Bavarian Helles

I've done three of their kits all turned out well and one i highly modified and was wonderful..... on a side note these are commercially processed kits that could sit on a shelf for a long time

I have heard that they are not bad yet I have not actually tried one myself. If you love NB so much, may I ask why you would consider a different brand/supplier?

My first beer was True Brew Nut Brown. Didn't turn pout well, but that's mostly user error.

The freshness of the kit can be a concern. Also, I think they use Munton's yeast a lot, which struggles with all malt beer. I would hope you'd get more than a pack of Munton's ale yeast with a Double IPA kit.

Add: This shows they use Safale-05, which is nice.

http://www.brewhorizons.net/true_brew_double_ipa.htm

Thanks for the reviews all, I was wondering about the freshness...I noticed when I did a google search of True Brew that Amazon.com sells these kits.

@ sauceboss: the True Brew double IPA caught my attention as it claims its commercial comparison is Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA which is a brew I'd like to make sometime. If this kit is even close to DH 90 IPA I'll try it...commercially they sell these beers by the four pack for like 11 or 12 dollars. Crazy expensive.

I brewed this same kit about 6 weeks ago, 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary and it's been in the bottles for 3 weeks. I've been tasting 1 each week it's been in the bottles and it just started getting really good. Before that it was a little green. I wouldn't compare it to a DFH 90, more like a 60, but still pretty good. I'm 3 weeks into a DFH 90 recipe from Scottland on this site, the extract version, and as of now it tastes like its going to be awesome.

I also wanted to mention you might want to start with more than 5 gallons if you can. After all of the dry hopping and transferring to secondary and bottling I probably only ended up with about 4 gallons.

Latest posts

Back