American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezerpleezer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
English Ale
Yeast Starter
Recommended
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Been brewed multiple times with S-04 and WY1968, both with very favorable results.
Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 152 F

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
0r
Wyeast 1968

Here is the extract/PM conversion:

Batch Size: 5g
Boil Volume: 3g

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
or
Wyeast 1968

This is assuming a 3g boil, so if you can do a full boil remove the extra oz of hops at 60minutes.

Ferment at 65F for 7-10 days

The FWH addition's IBUs are calculated as a 20 minute addition to better calculate the perceived IBUs. They are boiled the whole 60 minutes.

This recipe has had favorable results with both S-04 and WY1968. For more information here is the original thread from the Recipes/Ingredients section: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/

I usually do 5.5-6g batches to account for trub and hop loss. Here is the above scaled down to 5g (and rounded off into even weights):

Batch Size: 5.00
Boil Volume: 6.84

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.3 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
0.40 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.40 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.7 IBU
0.62 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 18.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
2.50 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale or Wyeast 1968

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 66.2 IBU

let us know how this turns out. i've only had Zombie Dust at Dark Lord Day last year. they released it in 6 packs but they seem to only barely meet demand at the brewpub and never make their way down to the Indianapolis area. i've been wanting my wife to try it because i described it as tasting like alcoholic tropical punch but what little kegs this city gets are dry by the time we get there. frustrating as hell

Just made this, what about a month ago now, just setting here waiting and waiting :)

I thought it was very, very close, but dont have access to the real deal since i moved, so haven't go to do a head to head with this recipe. There are a lot of others that said it was spot on in the other thread linked above. I just re-brewed this yesterday with the 1968 yeast, in will report back in a couple weeks.

I haven't had Zombie Dust yet, however I noticed that the first hop addition is at 20 min. Is that enough time to isomerize alpha acids to impart some bitterness? I understand that late additions are in vogue, I just imagined that there might be a little warrior or magnum to start the boil.....

I haven't had Zombie Dust yet, however I noticed that the first hop addition is at 20 min. Is that enough time to isomerize alpha acids to impart some bitterness? I understand that late additions are in vogue, I just imagined that there might be a little warrior or magnum to start the boil.....

The first hop addition is actually a FWH.
I think it's in the Beersmith file as 20 minutes as the IBU counts are similar.

Zombie Dust and Dark Lord are the two 3F brews that I want to try but haven't had yet so I can't compare to the original.
My PM/BIAB version was ready for consumption on Tuesday and boy, this is a great recipe. Thanks skeezer!!

Finished up at 6.55% ABV, nice and crisp. Hop aroma and flavor was great, not overpowering. May have liked a touch more hop bitterness in their but all in all, this could easily be a staple in my fridge. Just wish the price of Citra at my LHBS didn't bankrupt my Homebrew funds :D

Here's a pic of the finished product:

NewImage-1-1.jpg

is there a way where i can use more grains (sans all-grain)? i guess i'm used to using around 5+ lbs of grains and less extract. i'll probably just go ahead and roll with the extract recipe shown.

To keep a 5lb grain bill you could add 2.5lbs of 2-row and drop the extract to 4.5lbs.

If you can do 7.25 lbs of grain, use 4.75lbs of 2row and drop the extract to 3lbs.

7.25 lbs it is! i'm going to the LHBS today and hoping the cost of citra doesn't cripple me.

i think i'm going to buy a bigger pot and start doing BIAB. i'm tired of getting raped by the cost of extract and i don't have the money to fully convert to all-grain

anyways, i'll let you know how this turns out. thanks for the help, friendo

I just added the 2row in Beersmith, then dropped the DME to get back to 1.065-1.066. But yes, that should be close, depending on your mashing efficiency.

I haven't done BIAB, but know some people that do and have great results. It will definitely reduce the cost of brewing.

I highly recommend that you rest this beer for 7 to 10 days in the cooler, makes the world of differents.

I'm a bit confused about the hop schedule, is this correct?

First wort .75oz
15 minutes left in boil 1.25oz
10 minutes left in boil 1.25oz
5 minutes left in boil 1.25oz
1 minutes left in boil 1.25oz
Dry hop 3oz

0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU

0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU

Why is there a time (20 minutes) with the first wort hopping?

Also the original recipe does not have a 60 minute addition?

Why is there a time (20 minutes) with the first wort hopping?

Also the original recipe does not have a 60 minute addition?

As stated in the original post: "The .75oz FWH hop addition says 20 min to more accurately calculate the percieved bitterness. It is actually boiled the whole 60 minutes." FWH adds a smoother bitterness. If you leave it at 60, it calculates out as a higher IBU, but does not taste like a higher IBU. To clear things up, I will just remove the 20 minutes from FWH and change the note.

The original has no 60 minute addition. The 60 minute addition is for extract if you cannot do a full boil. Lower boil volume=lower hop utilization.

Lemmi Thanks for the pic, glad it turned out well for you, i mean how could it not be great citra is an amazing hop! Your color looks quite a bit darker then the zombie dust is the only thing i would say....

I only let it chill for about 6 hours before pouring this so it may clear up some as my other bombers are refrigerated. I couldn't wait any longer after 6 weeks (2 primary, 2 secondary and 2 bottle conditioning).

Also, I did the PM version so the extract may have added to that as well.

I forgot the dryhops once and left them for 14 days, it was developing some off flavors. Like lemmiwinks said, 7 days should be fine. It definitely won't have a lack of aroma.

I have a batch of this dry hopping now. I took a sample a few days back and it seems good so far. I was going to dry hop for 14 days. Is that not a good idea?

btw - people on ebay are selling the real stuff for $10 per bottle. Some are charging another $20 to ship it. Can't see myself dropping $30 for a 12oz bottle of beer. This stuff must be really good.

I would try to do 7-10 days.

It is really good also. Not worth the ebay prices though. Hell, you can get Dreadnaught cheaper than that.

Oh yeah, I think I am going to give this recipe a try in a few weeks. I just need to find 1/2lb. of Citra hops before I can even try to get started and that may be tough and/or expensive!

I got them at hopsshack.com. A little pricey at $2.50 per ounce.. They delivered quickly, and replaced a broken package without any problems.

finding pellet hops is tough. The leaf hops seem to be available.

+1 for the 7 day dry hop when I go past that it turns funky/ grassy? Vegetal? Flavor that is less desirable.

I scored a 6 pack of the real deal. It's very good. My clone tastes pretty close to the original so far. I like the citra hops, but I was hoping for a little more bitterness up front. If I were to tweak this and add additional bittering hops up front, which would I use? I'd like something to complement the citra.

Any ideas?

b-boy said:
I scored a 6 pack of the real deal. It's very good. My clone tastes pretty close to the original so far. I like the citra hops, but I was hoping for a little more bitterness up front. If I were to tweak this and add additional bittering hops up front, which would I use? I'd like something to complement the citra.

Any ideas?

If you just want some bitterness, use something like magnum /warrior/bravo, etc. Not many hops will add much other than bitterness when added early. Columbus/Chinook would add some dank/pine if you bitter some with them. Centennial would play nicely also. You could always go more Citra.

got 7+ lbs of grain in the kettle now along with the first wort hops. i went with a full ounce because i'm a dreamer. should i steep these grains for 30 minutes or 45?

i mashed for 45 minutes. ended up with 1.068 OG. drank a bit much and did an oz. of citra a bit early at 30 minutes. hop schedule ended up looking like...

1 oz = first wort
1 oz = 30 min
1 oz = 15 min
1 oz = 10 min
1 oz = 5 min

and i'll be dry hopping with 3 ounces. the lesson today kids is don't drink too much when brewing. had a Founders Reds Rye, homebrewed Lakefront-ish IPA, Three Floyds bomber of Brian Boru irish red, Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, and something that got lost in the shuffle. also tried to take a preboil OG reading and poured my wort in my tube casing/whatever and contorted it to worthlessness. fun day

So I was looking at the recipe on the first post and am interested in trying an all extract version of the Zombie Dust. I noticed that it says "Here is the extract/PM conversion:" and the original thread states "Here is the extract conversion for anyone interested:" and the two recipes are the exact same. I have been looking at some instructions about partial mashing and am not quite ready to get into it (lack of equipment), and new to the hobby. So can it be done in a basic extract method or is partial mashing absolutely required? Sorry if this is a rookie question and I am just not quite understanding correctly!

If you use the extract recipe in the OP, you don't need to mash. Just steep the specialty grains.

If you use sub some 2row for extract (PM) you will need to mash to convert it.

Back