First Witbier - please critique my recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krugulitis

Reaction score
This will be my first attempt at the style, and I have done a fair amount of research to prep. Please let me know if anyone has any advice, concerns, etc. with the recipe. Thanks in advance for the help!

1.051 OG
1.012 FG
4 SRM
20 IBU
5.2% ABV

MALT
43% 5lbs Flaked Wheat
34% 4lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt
17% 2lbs White Wheat Malt
04% 8oz Flaked Oats
02% 4oz Acid Malt

Simple, single infusion mash at 150. Batch sparge at 170. Softer water profile.

HOPS
90min .25oz Perle
60min .5oz German Tradition
10min .5oz German Tradition
05min .25oz Spalt

YEAST
WLP400 White Labs Belgian Wit Ale

ETC.
8oz Rice Hulls in the mash (to avoid a stuck mash)
1 tablespoon of flour in the last 10 minutes of the boil (to ensure haze)
Zest from 3 fresh oranges (seville, blood orange, and navel) at flameout
.5oz crushed indian corriander at flameout
.5oz chamomile at flameout

I will ferment this at 65, and let it rise slowly to 70 before bottle conditioning. I'll probably skip doing any time in the secondary and just leave this thing in the primary for a month or two, depending when i need the carboy for another batch.

Some of my reasoning behind the recipe:

I did not want to do a separate cereal mash for raw wheat - which I know is more traditional and gives a better wheat flavor. I listened to a podcast from the jamile show that said 30-40% raw wheat is ideal and if not used then 60-70% malted wheat would be needed to impart the necessary wheat flavor. I also read that flaked wheat does not require a separate cereal mash like raw wheat, but still gives better flavor than malted wheat. Denny Conn has a recipe posted with 45% flaked wheat, so I decided that I would use a similar amount and also add malted wheat to hit the 60% advised by the jamile show. Thoughts?

Is 4% oats enough? Also, I read that using 1-3% acid malt will help add a decent tang to the beer - anyone else done this?

The hops are all left over from a partigyle brew I did 2 weekends ago (imperial rye altbier and roggenbier), so I am aware that the amount of hop additions is unnecessary, but I just wanted to get rid of them and hit 20IBU.

I purposely avoided bitter orange peel. 20IBU's should be enough to balance this beer, so the bitterness imparted from this I don't feel is necessary, though I do realize it is traditional. I have used fresh orange zest before (as well as other citrus fruits) and I love the kick it gives my beers. I've never used 3 different kinds of oranges, so I decided to use that out of curiosity.

Does anyone have advice on how to add the chamomile?

Again, thanks for any and all help and advice!

Back