Czech Premium Pale Lager South Czech Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbdujka

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs 802
Yeast Starter
yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1 gal
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 @ 48
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 @ 38
Additional Fermentation
10 @ 33
Tasting Notes
this beer is wonderful and easy drinking. nice delicate grain taste, wonderful hops
17.5 lbs Bohemian Pils malt

2 oz Saaz leaf 5% 60 min
2 oz Saaz leaf 5% 40 min
2 oz Saaz leaf 5% 20 min

double decoction mash

122 degrees 20 min
140 degrees 30 min
158 degrees 30 min
mash out 168 10 min

Sounds tasty, pretty darn simple too, besides the decoction. What would this be like without a decoction if I still hit the step temps?

it would probably be a little lighter in color and loose a little complexity in taste, efficiency might be a little lower. i guarantee it would still be very drinkable

I'm brewing this now.11/2/11. Just doing 5 gal and I added .25 cara-pils to the mash for head retention. Also I didn't do the double decotion. This is my first pilsner as I just recently got a lagering fridge. I will try and report back in few months on the results. Thanks for the recipe.

sounds good. ive made this 6 times and honestly hitting the temps is more important than how you got there.

Nice looking recipe; pretty standard fare and props for the decoctions. I favour some carapils for head retention and maybe some crystal 15 to balance out the grainy flavour from the pils malt. I've done lagers with and without the protein rests and am leaning to "without" these days. The rest at 140 is intriguing.

Pils malt, Saaz hops, nice clean lager yeast...you can't go wrong!

Latest posts

Back