Honey Brown tasted slight sour after taste after secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman48360

Reaction score
Got a Honey Brown kit for Christmas. LHBS suggested English Brown kit with two packages dry yeast and 5lb honey. Said don't use all honey. Found two recipes on line that suggested 1.5 lb honey with 3.3 lb amber LME, 2 lb Amber DME.

Added honey at flame out. Didn't use steeping bag for hops. Ran through filtered funnel to carboy. Had to scrape filter so I think a lot of hops got into fermenter.

OG 1.065.

Very large krausen in carboy. Blow off was into 4-5 inches of wter in two liter bottle of unsanitized water Lots of hops and sludge in bottom of bottle.
Racked to secondary after 1 week. Tasted great very smooth. Didn't check gravity.

Air lock water was not sanitized. No sign of pull back into carboy.

Checked secondary ferment today after 2 weeks. Gravity 1.011. Will check gravity again tommorrow. My concern is that taste was not as smooth. Slight sour after taste. My son described it as taste when wine starts to turn to vinegar.

My questions are:
- Normal?
- What went wrong? Sanitaton?
- Is gravity about right for bottling?
- Priming sugar or 1 cup honey for bottling to try to save after taste flavor.

If it is starting to taste sour, then it is infected with acetobacter or something similar and it will only get worse over time. The only thing you can do is wait and watch. In the future, use star-san on anything that has the potential to come into contact with the chilled wort.

Is this your first batch of homebrewed beer? Often times when the FG has been reached, there are still compounds like acetaldehyde that can taste rather tart. This is a normal part of fermentation and the yeast will clean it up while in the bottle. It can be amazingly bitter if you are not used to it.

Bottle it and enjoy.

EDIT: Gravity is ready for bottling when 2 samples taken 3 days apart are the same. It sounds like you have a lot of honey to get rid of, priming with honey could be fun.

Ya I'm a newbie but not my first batch. I've been doing some research and I probably should have mentioned that I brewed with half distilled water and half spring water. No additives. Also I left glass carboys in dark office but you could see during daytime. Couldn't convince the wife to turn off the light and didn't think I needed to cover it. Do you think either could be affecting the taste.

Better to cover carboys just to be safe. If you are concerned that it is "skunked" from the light, take two samples. Place one in sunlight for 5-10 minutes and the other one in the dark. Get someone else to pour and have you guess which one is "skunked". If they taste the same then you have your answer.

Sour as in sour apple is young beer. Bottle it let it set. I bet money there is nothing wrong with it at all.

Well we let it condition in bottles for a little more than 2.5 weeks. We chilled two and liked the results seemed a little drier than a comerical "Honey Lager" which I think is too sweet and a little sweeter than "JW Dundee Honey Lager" which I think is a little too dry. I knew there was a good reason to brew my own beer! The rest are conditioning some more.

I guess I was tasting green beer for the first time after my secondary.

Thanks for taking the time to review and input.

Back