Damn Puppy - will the Rhizome survive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruegerBrew

Reaction score
Here's the short story: My roommates puppy got past my temporary barricades and dug up 2 hills with 2 freshly planted rhizomes. I found 2 of 4 in the yard the next day. They're fine and are growing fine. Now, here I am 2 weeks later drinking homebrews with friends in the backyard and my gf says to the pup "bring me that stick" and I say after a 1 second glance, "RHIZOME!"

It's really dry but we have had some rainy days lately. It's soaking in water now and after 2hours or so I'll plant it. What your thoughts? How hardy are these plants.... Time will tell!

Yeah I know that risk and I'm horrified by it. When I planted the hops it started pouring rain and I couldn't put up the chicken wire until 2 days later in which time this digging occurred. Fence now surrounds the hills. Thank you for the concern.

While a dead dog would simply mean the mutt was not strong enough to reproduce, and was better off dead IMO, the rhizomes are fine. Try burning them - they will still grow.

Well it sounds unreal, but after only a week and a half the rhizome in question just surfaced a head! It's hard to believe that the 6" root clipping was left in the open warm air for 2 weeks and chewed on by our pup yet still survived. It was so dried out that it had almost no weight to it and floated like a bobber in the glass of water the day that I replanted it.

Back