confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
I brewed a autumn amber ale kit from Midwest last Thursday... its been in the primary for 8 days... OG was 1.042 took a hydrometer reading today and it was 1.009.... should I rack to secondary? Would leaving this on primary for another week be a bad thing?

Nope to both questions. You could leave it in the primary for another week with no adverse effects.

I wouldn't rack to secondary. That's old school. Rarely used anymore except for fruit, lagering or sometimes oak/dry-hopping.

Give it another week or so in the primary & bottle it up, assuming your gravity is stable.

If you can keep it in primary for another couple weeks it will help clarify and condition. Eight days is not enough for the yeast to do all they are capable of (the don't just make alcohol).

If you can get it down in the 50's it will help the clarification.

You can leave it in the primary for a few weeks (3-4) with no ill effects. Some argue that it is actually better to leave it in the primary than doing a secondary at all, but this seems to be personal preference.

You can leave it in the primary for a few months with no ill effects except it is really hard to wait that long to taste your beer.

thanks for the input.... im gonna go 3 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks in secondary... sound good?

It certainly won't hurt the beer, but 5 weeks in a fermenter sure is a long time! I'd bottle it by about week three instead of racking it to a clearing vessel ("secondary") since it will be long finished and probably darn clear by then.

How about just doing 3 or 4 weeks in the primary and then keg or bottle. That would cut 1 or 2 weeks off your wait and still make good beer.

Back