Undershot O.G

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerant

Reaction score
Screwed up and was short one gal water on my mash. Ended up with a temp of 147F instead of 152F which probably explains why the O.G on my IPA is 1040 instead of 1064. My question is if I boil up- say 2 cups of dextrose will that bring me up closer to my intended O.G. I just don't know how to figure out how much I need. But- Heh; at least I know how I screwed up!

Dextrose will definitely raise your gravity. How much depends on the size of your batch. There are several online tools that will help you calculate this. My favorite:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

That said, with an OG that low, I would think malt extract would give you a better flavor profile.

Dextrose has a 42 points per pound per gallon. DME should be roughly the same (40 - 44 depending the source) and will have more maltose in it.

You need to add 1.75 - 2 pounds dissolved in 1/2 a gallon of water to get to 1.064 (assuming you are at 5 gallons now). This sounds like a mess to me (massive boil over on the stove), but doable. I would probably only adjust by 1 pound.

Next time, take a pre-boil gravity and add the extra sugars to the boil. I had to do that yesterday because of some terrible efficiency. But that's a different story...

I had a similar issue making a Rogue Oatmeal Stout clone today. I feel like I either A. Boiled off a TON of the wort, or B. didn't get enough of the water out of the grain bag (held it forever, was barely dripping when I threw it out). I ended up with about 2 gallons of wort, so I added enough water to make it about 4.5 gallons, giving me a 1.052 OG, instead of the 1.060 target.

I'm just going to ferment as usual and hope for the best. I would rather have a better flavored beer than grab an extra 1% of alcohol. Only my 3rd batch, so I'm just aiming for success, not perfection.

Dextrose has a 42 points per pound per gallon. DME should be roughly the same (40 - 44 depending the source) and will have more maltose in it.

You need to add 1.75 - 2 pounds dissolved in 1/2 a gallon of water to get to 1.064 (assuming you are at 5 gallons now). This sounds like a mess to me (massive boil over on the stove), but doable. I would probably only adjust by 1 pound.

Next time, take a pre-boil gravity and add the extra sugars to the boil. I had to do that yesterday because of some terrible efficiency. But that's a different story...
sounds good but my batch is 7 gal. More sugar right? I'm thinking even if I get around 1060 I'd be satisfied.

More sugar right?

Like slayte said, I think DME would give you a better flavor profile. I have only added simple sugars to belgians/saisons. I suspect that with your low mash + lots of simple sugars, you are going to end up with a lip puckering, dry beer.

Might work for an IPA, but sound too dry for my pallet.

Back