who has dry hopped with willamette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commonlaw

Reaction score
I have an English IPA just about done fermenting that I'd like to dry hop for three to five days. The hops used in the brew include Willamette, EKG and Styrian Goldings. The Willamettes I got from hops direct, and the EKG and styrian came from my LHBS. The EKG hops from the LHBS never look very good--kinda browner and less lively looking than other hops. And the styrians are only available as pellet. So I'm trying to figure out which of these I should dry hop with.

I have more of the Willamette, which I use as a fuggle substitute, but I'm not sure how they'd be as a dry hop. Any thoughts?

Alternatively I could just deal with dry hopping using the pellets of styrians--people do dry hop with pellets, right?

I'll probably avoid the EKG just because they don't seem super fresh.

I currently am drinking an ESB made with all Willamette pellets from Hops Direct. I dry hopped it with 1 oz. of pellets per 5 gallons in conditioning for 7 days.

I think it turned out VERY nice.

I'm pretty sure the Abita Turbo dog i drank last night was dry hopped with williamette. It had a surprising amount of aroma.

Good because I got a pound of this from Hops-direct for $6.75 how cheap is that!
I want to dry hop with it and see what kind of profile it leaves.

alright, think i'll give the willamette a try then. I've been using it a lot for bittering and aroma additions to English beers. At $6-$7 a pound, it's like my do everything hop. If it turns out well for dry hopping that would be awesome.

For anyone who might be interested in using their Willamettes in a single hop brew, here is my recipe for the bitter I recently made:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/bolder-bitter-166469/#post1925038

Tonight I had a bottle of Hazed and Infused and then a SNPA. I poured a pint of BOLDER Bitter to follow those and WHOA!

Clean malt, slightly sweet and WILLAMETTE aroma. I far preferred the homebrew to the bottled product.

Don't use anything less that 1 oz of willamette for dry hop because its a not a very strong and aroma hop.So use more than you would expect.

Latest posts

Back