Kegerator Deal at Home Depot - $348 after rebate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
You can buy this Magic Chef Kegeratator right now online at Home Depot for $398.00.

Starting Friday through 12/26 there's another $50 off via a rebate, so for $348 you get a commercial kegerator complete with Tower, tap, CO2 bottle & regulator. You would be hard pressed to build one for that amount.

Wait till Friday to buy one so you qualify for the 50 buck rebate.

36788924-1200-4d42-8742-c13f984c4d0f_300.jpg

It's model # MCKC490S
Internet/Catalog # 100654129

shipping to Atlanta is $48.26. Wonder if it is internet order only?

Nope, I saw the unit this afternoon at lunch at a nearby Home Depot. The $398 is a new price for it, so it's not a sale price, but the rebate starts on Black Friday.

hum...

# Assembled Depth (In Inches) : 24.8 In.
# Assembled Height (In Inches) : 33.7 In.
# Assembled Weight (In LBS) : 81.6
# Assembled Width (In Inches) : 20.1 In.
# Refrigerator Capacity : 4.9 Cu. Ft.

Does anyone know how many cornies it will hold and if additional faucets can be added to the tower?

I'd bet a keg of Haus Ale it will hold at least two cornies. You might be able to add another faucet, but drilling a 1" hole in that tower will be a PIA.

I took my old tower and faucet off my Haier kegerator and sold it and replaced it with a 3 faucet tower from Micromatic.com

Do you think you could do the cardboard cutout trick for us Ed?

Perhaps. The unit I saw at lunch time (I went there to check up pre-hung doors for the brewhaus cold room) was still in the box and they did not have one on display. I'll be swinging my my local Home Depot in Bee Cave to pick up my door, so I'll check there to see if they have one on display.

dang. My wife just bought a Sanyo 4912 for my 40th B-day to convert. This would have been just as nice and already done.

unless you are going with commercial sanke kegs, you can plan on replacing the tower for a dual faucet setup, replacing the faucets with shirron/perlicks, replacing the regulator with something worth a damn. IDk... you may not be able to buy a keggerator for that cheap, then again you probably would use higher quality parts and end up ahead in the long run building your own. Also, you get the satisfaction knowing you built it yourself.

Does anyone know how the quality is on this kegerator? I was wondering why it's much cheaper than the competitions. Or is it?

--ImpulseB

I dont have first hand knowledge, but I do know if you plan in using cornies, the tower and faucets will end up getting replaced.

I actually looked @ this unit last night after work, and I know I am new But I am a tech by trade and this thing is for the non-serious users. I called the internet cust serv and they said a 90 day warranty and thats it. Then you are dealing with the mfg and good luck, again the tower is crap but hey to the typical non -brewer/drinker this looks good!
Thumbs down for me as well, as I too am looking for a deal on a nice one or am close to getting the parts for a 5.0 cu ft Keezer

I dont have first hand knowledge, but I do know if you plan in using cornies, the tower and faucets will end up getting replaced.

Only for those who want to serve more than one beer at a time.

You don't have to replace the tower and I'm still using the same regulator that came with mine years ago.

It's a pretty inexpensive and easy way for folks to get started. Customizing it later is easy and inexpensive too as the parts they replace can be resold as I did with mine.

Does anyone know how the quality is on this kegerator? I was wondering why it's much cheaper than the competitions. Or is it?

--ImpulseB

I am wondering why the competition is so much more expensive.
A slightly smaller compact fridge is under $200 and the draft components should be under $200. So why do most kegerators cost $500-$600? I'm guessing it is sales volume that dictates the price.

As for its usefulness, with an expensive and easy replacement of the fittings it can serve a homebrew keg on the included tower and a second one can be on a picnic tap just inside the door if desired. Since most compact fridges do not fit two cornies this is a nice solution, even if you do have to upgrade some of the components. It fits with most decors much easier than a chest freezer or a full sized fridge.

Craig

The cold plate on a kegorator should be different. Better? I don't know.

Commercial Kegorators generally look nicer and that can get some SWMBO but in.

You also don't have to upgrade all at once, you can budget it out.

Does anyone know how many cornies it will hold and if additional faucets can be added to the tower?

I started out with a kegerator designed to take a standard 1/2bbl keg, it fits 3 cornies and I augmented the tower to have 3 taps. I should have a link in my sig.

Looking back on it now, I wish I had only put 2 taps on, that way I could have that last spot for crashcooling/force carbing/pre-chilling a keg/lagering without having an empty tap. :rolleyes:

I started out with a kegerator designed to take a standard 1/2bbl keg, it fits 3 cornies and I augmented the tower to have 3 taps. I should have a link in my sig.

Looking back on it now, I wish I had only put 2 taps on, that way I could have that last spot for crashcooling/force carbing/pre-chilling a keg/lagering without having an empty tap. :rolleyes:

That's what a chest freezer in the garage is for. :D

KeezerIsFull.jpg

Why do you do this to me?

I JUST got paid, and I was in the process of stashing half my check in my ultra-secure shoebox.

*sigh*

That's what a chest freezer in the garage is for. :D

KeezerIsFull.jpg

One day.... When I finally have that Dr. in front of my name, have a source of income other than the wife, and have a garage, then I too shall have a sweet set up like that ;)

If SWMBO allows it :D

This one? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/adding-faucets-tower-36258/

Do you know the brand/ model?

dont think about it that way. 3 is the way to go!

yeah, that is the link, but I do not remember the brand/model for the fridge. It is a custom job, and to get a 1/2bbl keg in there you had to hold your lips just right. I will say it is MUCH easier to fit 3 cornnies in there. However, I will make the disclaimer to try and fit three kegs in BEFORE you put three taps on the tower ;)

for $348 you get a commercial kegerator complete with Tower, tap, CO2 bottle & regulator. You would be hard pressed to build one for that amount.

While the price isn't bad, I think it should be noted that it isn't a commercial kegerator. A commerical kegerator such as a Bev Air or True will run quite a bit more than 400 bucks. Without seeing it, I'd suspect it's quality is on par with Danby, Haier, etc. Not that I'm knocking those lower end units, I have a Danby myself.

While the price isn't bad, I think it should be noted that it isn't a commercial kegerator. A commerical kegerator such as a Bev Air or True will run quite a bit more than 400 bucks. Without seeing it, I'd suspect it's quality is on par with Danby, Haier, etc. Not that I'm knocking those lower end units, I have a Danby myself.

Since the Costco kegerator I posted is dead I was looking at this one:

Haier Kegerator HBF05EBSS-2 Keg Beer Cooler | BeverageFactory.com

Haier, 6.5 cubic feet, 2 tap system with a new 5# aluminum tank but I think I should buy all the parts separately? Maybe only upgrade to SS tower for $40 and better dual regulator.

How do you fit 3 cornies (assuming we are talking about 5gal kegs)? I tested it and it only fits 2 5gal and 1 3gal cornie. Well this makes 3 ;) but I assume you are talking about 3 "full" size cornies. Kinda interested how you do that with this Magic Chef unit.

How do you fit 3 cornies (assuming we are talking about 5gal kegs)? I tested it and it only fits 2 5gal and 1 3gal cornie. Well this makes 3 ;) but I assume you are talking about 3 "full" size cornies. Kinda interested how you do that with this Magic Chef unit.

Here's my 1/2 barrel Haier kegerator I converted. There's a 5# CO2 bottle behind the left keg up on a compressor hump. It's a tight fit, but three cornies fit like a charm.

Kegerator2.jpg

Interesting pic Ed. I would say the Haier must be slightly bigger than my Magic Chef. The MC has that bump on the back where I can put a small cornie and a co2 tank on, but that prevents me from setting up 3 5gal cornies the way you have it. Oh well...I can live with it :)

Looking at a BJ's catalog that came in today's mail. They have a Kegerator listed for $369.99. Says it comes with a CO2 bottle, so I'm guessing a regulator also. No brand name listed. SKU 668579, but I can't find it on their website.

Has anyone seen this in person?

I picked the Home Depot Magic Chef Kegerator up and so far so good. As expected the manual was pretty shotty (pictures of old parts and diagrams too small to make out, etc etc).

The only thing that still puzzles me are two large washers (about 1/2 dollar size I'd say) that no reference is ever made of.

Anyone have any idea where they MIGHT go? :drunk:

Thanks!

jim

I picked the Home Depot Magic Chef Kegerator up and so far so good. As expected the manual was pretty shotty (pictures of old parts and diagrams too small to make out, etc etc).

The only thing that still puzzles me are two large washers (about 1/2 dollar size I'd say) that no reference is ever made of.

Thanks!

jim

Spare parts bin? :D

If I'm not mistaken, this is the 4.9 cubic foot kegerator? If so, I saw it in Home Depot a week ago and thought for that kind of money, I'd go for a keezer (knowing what I know now), but that's me.

Thanks!

jim

The metal washers are for the front casters (according to my manual).

I did a little research on this, though I didn't confirm how many kegs it could hold. From the many many reviews I saw on this kegerator (Vissani) it requires at the least the installation of a computer fan to circulate air so it can get below 40*. After that most people have success freezing most anything they put in it. A few others had to do some tinkering with the thermostat.

Back