Accidental sanke spear invention...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
Came up with a tool to replace spears in sanke kegs today, and it's so easy a four year old could do it, takes 1/4 of the time of the Sabco tool, and would probably cost $250 less to produce (probably $40 retail) .. How much interest is there for a tool like this ??

Came up with a tool to replace spears in sanke kegs today, and it's so easy a four year old could do it, takes 1/4 of the time of the Sabco tool, and would probably cost $250 less to produce (probably $40 retail) .. How much interest is there for a tool like this ??

Probably not much interest among homebrewers. You might be able to sell some to smaller breweries though.

This is in place of a screwdriver and hammer?

It presses the spear down, taking the pressure off of the retaining ring, making it easier to remove/install. You still need a screwdriver, keg tool, or other sharp object to pry the ring out with. For a decent size brewery where you're doing hundreds of kegs at a time it kinda makes sense. For us homebrewers spending $90 to make a very infrequent task slightly easier doesn't make much sense.

you would have to prove to me that spending $40 is worth it to save the 6 minutes a month i spend on this task using a hammer and screwdriver or cheisel that i already have laying around.

ill hold my breath. ready....go. :D

Back