SCABS homebrew comp Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I entered this competition, going to head up to Wrought Iron Grill today for the results. Plan on stopping at Redwood Lodge on my way there and Fenton Winery & Brewery on my way back! Lets hope my beers made it from their drop off point :)

:mug:

Curt

I put three beers in, but can't make it down today. Looking forward to seeing some results posted soon after it wraps up.

Anyone make it down today? I'm very interested in knowing the results.

I entered this competition, going to head up to Wrought Iron Grill today for the results. Plan on stopping at Redwood Lodge on my way there and Fenton Winery & Brewery on my way back! Lets hope my beers made it from their drop off point :)

Curt

How'd you do Fishkid? I keep checking their web site to see if they've posted the results, but no updates so far.

I went up there but wasn't able to get any results, the person responsible for posting the results took off before I could get any info. I did talk to the president of SCABS and he mentioned that the results were going to be posted/emailed within a couple of days.

Some of the judges that were hanging out afterwards mentioned that the competition ran very smoothly.

I'll update this thread if I hear anything. Oh and has your check been cashed yet? Mine hasn't so it has me worried that maybe they didn't receive my beers. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid.

Curt

No, my check hasn't been cashed either. I used a drop off point, so I'm pretty sure they would've gotten there. Just have to be patient for a couple of days I guess.

I'm anxious too....this was my first comp. I entered a fruit beer, my Fuzzy Blonde, and a Brown Porter. I'm not expecting a whole lot, but some feedback would be great. I hope I entered the BP in the right category....we'll see what the pro's have to say about it.

Good luck to all, though!

I entered 3 beers, just got my score sheets emailed to me, my Imperial Black IPA took 1st in specialty beers, they didn't like my Kolsch, and my belgian mistake (f'd a beer up with over sparge, did a longer boil and different hops, tastes good though) did ok.

Oh and has your check been cashed yet? Mine hasn't so it has me worried that maybe they didn't receive my beers. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid.

Curt

I received my score sheets via email about 30 min ago, and just checked my bank and no, they did not cash my check yet.

I received my score sheets via email about 30 min ago, and just checked my bank and no, they did not cash my check yet.

Nice to hear they're getting them out quickly. Is there an overall winners list as well, or any indication of how you did in your category? (other than score, obviously)

Thank you guy's for entering hope you did well. The event ran very well score sheets have been emailed in a timely manner. I will check to see when the winners will be posted.

Thanks again
Pat

I haven't gotten any results yet but at least I know I didn't win the specialty catagory.:D

Haven't received my sheets yet either. Good to hear people are getting them though.

I had one of those 17 in the specialty category (bourbon chocolate coffee stout), as well as a Belgian specialty (oaked saison w/brett) and an IPA. Didn't brew any specifically as competition beers, but I'm really happy with all three and look forward to seeing the feedback.

I had an India Brown Ale that I absolutely loved. I entered my last two which I seriously considered drinking instead.

I entered 3 beers, just got my score sheets emailed to me, my Imperial Black IPA took 1st in specialty beers, they didn't like my Kolsch, and my belgian mistake (f'd a beer up with over sparge, did a longer boil and different hops, tastes good though) did ok.

I would love to try making the Imperial black IPA. Do you have the recipe posted anywhere?

Just got my scorecard. I was secretly hoping to place, but knew I wouldn't . :cross:

My Brown Porter scored 37, 37, and 34, while my Fuzzy Blonde (fruit beer) scored 40 and 39.

I don't know why I had 3 scores and 2...anybody have an idea? Could it be the BP was considered for the BOS round and therefore got a 3rd score?

Also, what score gets an honorable mention? I thought it was 40 overall but could be wrong.

I'm glad I entered, got some good feedback, nothing surprising, and of course a couple of contradictory comments. I'll definitely be doing more of these.

Cheers!

Nice job guys! I received all of my scoresheets, none of my beers were winners :( Best I pulled out was a 34 on my Black Licorice Stout.

Got mine too. Looks like my Brett/Oaked Saison got a 1st, but I'm unclear if that's just the flight or if I won a medal. I'm happy with the score and remarks either way (42.5 score).

My IPA scored a 32. I wasn't sure how to enter that - it was a double IPA. Comments remarked at too high alcohol and bitterness. Didn't think it was quite high enough to go imperial though. So I'm not disappointed or surprised by that one.

My chocolate stout got a 35, but was knocked pretty hard for oxidation. I know why that happened too, but still love the beer so I tried it anyway.

You're black licorice stout was your best scorer?!? That's awesome for such a controversial beer. What were the comments like?

Heh yea, was not a fan favorite at homebrew day :), here are the overall impressions from the two judges,

"I like this beer but the base stout doesn't come through and is dominated by the star anise. Maybe _ _ a bit would allow the stout to show but still very nice." 34

"Nice spiced version of American Stout - Would like more hops and more dark grain character (roast coffee, dark chocolate, etc..) but a nice beer." 34

The IPA that you like scored a 29.5 :drunk:

Curt

I do agree that if you cut down on the anise and beef up the stout so there's a bit more balance and the licorice isn't so overwhelming, you might have a winner. I think even something worth sending into Longshot.

I do agree that if you cut down on the anise and beef up the stout so there's a bit more balance and the licorice isn't so overwhelming, you might have a winner. I think even something worth sending into Longshot.

There's not many bottle of it left and 4 shipped to Longshot on Saturday. Can't win if you don't send em :mug:

My India Brown Ale scored 40 and 43 for 41.0 overall! :ban:Didn't win a thing but I'm stoked. My american pale ale I tried to rush brew for the comp got 20. I tried to crash cool after only 7 days and gelatin fine. Then I dry hoped it in the keg. It tastes green as hell as you would think. Lesson learned.:)

Got mine too. Looks like my Brett/Oaked Saison got a 1st, but I'm unclear if that's just the flight or if I won a medal. I'm happy with the score and remarks either way (42.5 score).

Nice! Was that in specialty category? My black IPA scored a 44 and said place awarded 1. Great scores all around!

Just got my scorecard. I was secretly hoping to place, but knew I wouldn't . :cross:

My Brown Porter scored 37, 37, and 34, while my Fuzzy Blonde (fruit beer) scored 40 and 39.

I don't know why I had 3 scores and 2...anybody have an idea? Could it be the BP was considered for the BOS round and therefore got a 3rd score?

Also, what score gets an honorable mention? I thought it was 40 overall but could be wrong.

I'm glad I entered, got some good feedback, nothing surprising, and of course a couple of contradictory comments. I'll definitely be doing more of these.

Cheers!

We had three judges doing the stouts and porters I think I judged your beer good scores.

Great job Aaron your best score yet !!!

Wait until you guy's see your medals there are pretty big and pretty cool
the best of show gets one of our club dickie work shirts with best of show and there name embroidered on it.

Shoot for that next year great job all !

Pat

Just found out that I got third in 23A. The judges didn't fill in the box on the score sheet so I thought I didn't place. They posted the winners on their website. You guys may want to pop on there and check yours just to make sure.

Just found out that I got third in 23A. The judges didn't fill in the box on the score sheet so I thought I didn't place. They posted the winners on their website. You guys may want to pop on there and check yours just to make sure.

Thanks for posting this...I checked the site and found out I got 1st in Category 20 :rockin:

I entered a few beers, my American IPA took 2nd and my German Hefeweizen took 3rd.

I entered a english barley wine I made as one of my first AG batches 1.5 years ago. The comments were quite humours.. that it was too bitter, and need aging. I didn't expect it to do well as i'd brew it a lot differently if it was today... i was just really curious what people would say about it since its 12%.

Back