2 month primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamd

Reaction score
Just curious what the effects of this are. I did my first brew on January 10th and left it in the primary until March 16th when I bottled. The beer itself(California Pale Ale) after 5 days in the bottle was magnificent and very strong. Will definitely benefit from some extra time in the bottle though as the carbonation probably will rise. I made tons of newbie mistakes along the way like many of you probably had and I feel like now that I've actually made the beer I know its possible. Definitely want to start taking it more seriously.

Just curious the effects of that long of a primary though. Any input?

should be fine. only thing is that you might have yeast go bad or commit suicide when sitting in the primary for not much longer than that. try to keep your primary time down to within a month. 2 months is pushing it. if it turned out fine, nothing to worry about. if you want to clarify, rack it to a secondary fermenter within a couple weeks. if you had an issue with bad yeast, youd know it, the whole damn neighborhood would know it. so dont worry.

People have sucessfully bottle beer that has been in the primary for longer than that. Worst case it's bad, best case it's the best beer you'll ever make. Either way, you don't know until you try.

I usually leave my beers 4 to 6 weeks in primary but have gone as long as 3 months. Beers came out great.

If your yeast goes bad (autolysis) you will know it as soon as you open the primary as you will start gagging and puking immediately from the smell. It doesn't happen very often unless you leave it a really long time without temperature control. Since you seemed to have bottled without losing your lunch I'd say you are golden. :)

Back