I can't get any head!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Now that I have got your attention....:D I have been trying to force carbonate a Coopers stout for the past week. I have looked at all the graphs,and am using the right psi for the temperature of the beer. I am using the bmbg to bottle a few. Without fail the beer has some carbonation but no head at all to speak of. Comes out great from the keg but when poured from a bottle I get no head!! So my question is: is it poor carbonation or a poor recipe that is causing my lack of head. Thanks

Head has more to do with the recipe and brewing procedure than the carbonation applied. While you need decent carbonation to push up a big head, to actually make it form and last depends on how you mash, how long/vigorous you boil, how many hops you use and some other factors like grain selection. For a detailed look into head retention, check out the podcast by John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff, Brew Strong, on Head Retention.

thanks barleywater. I was afraid of that. This was a Coopers no boil kit that I had laying around the house. Not exactly brewing....

Back