First all-grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin6654

Reaction score
Just did my first all grain batch yesterday. I tried for a SN Tumbler type beer with a recipe I found here. I missed my mash temp by a few degrees (it said to mash at 154, and I was at about 151), and the OG came out a little low (1.046, supposed to be 1.052), but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I forgot the whirfloc too, and so I'm hoping most of the sediment will settle out. Can't wait to try it in about 6 weeks!

That's a great effort for your first AG. You'll get used to your equipment and what temps/amounts of water to use in them with certain amounts of grain to nail that 154. But you're damn close out of the gate, so nice job man.

Don't worry about your temp of 151. Your beer will probably turn out a bit on the dry side, but still very drinkable. I wouldn't sweat the whirlfloc either, as the beer will clare up with age. As far as your OG goes... did you temperature correct your SG reading. When I started to AG, I thought my OG were lousy, then I found out about SG/temp correction, and found that I was getting about 80% eff. Welcome to the AG club!

if that's all that happened on your first AG day, GOOD FRAKIN' JOB!!

it'll settle out (though it does help, probably shaves a week or two off the settling time), and you will have a lovely beer. i used to live near Hillsboro, what part of town you at?

if that's all that happened on your first AG day, GOOD FRAKIN' JOB!!

it'll settle out (though it does help, probably shaves a week or two off the settling time), and you will have a lovely beer. i used to live near Hillsboro, what part of town you at?

Thanks. I'm out near the Hillsboro Airport.

Back