Will my cider clear up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcrisler

Reaction score
Just wondering how long I should let my cider sit in secondary before bottling it. It has been in secondary for two weeks and it is still rather dark but not murky. I put some crystal 120 in it so I don't think it will get any lighter. Think I should go ahead and bottle this weekend?

Also can anyone tell me how much brown sugar I would use to prime 5 gallons, or direct me to something that explains how to make the conversion. Thanks.

I carb my ciders at 6 tsp of white table sugar per gallon of cider, once the fermentation is complete. I usually bottle my cider after 3-4 weeks in primary with no secondary.

The longer it goes, the better it tastes. That said, if you want to do it fast, 2 weeks in the primary and another 2-3 weeks in the secondary.

as far as clarifying, here is my experience with Nottingham ciders...

1 mo primary + 1 mo bottle, pretty clear but still a bit young/yeasty tasting

@ 3 mo in the bottle, looks clear, starts to taste pretty clear and good

@ 6 mos in bottle, outstanding hard to age it past this if reserves are low

@ 12 mos in bottle, never made it there, but I have some bottles 9 months old on reserve for the experience maybe some time in July....

Back