Best AG Brewing Podcast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoXP

Reaction score
So I was surfing around iTunes today and it occured to me to check for some brewing informational podcasts. There are a fair number of them. I just wanted to poll the group and get an idea of a good one(s) to subsribe to that go into pretty decent technical detail on AG brewing, recipe design, etc. Thanks.

The Brewing Network (Sunday Session and The Jamil Show) and Basic Brewing Radio. I used to subscribe to all of them but narrowed it down to those two as the others just really didn't give me the info I needed.

The Brewing Network (Sunday Session and The Jamil Show) and Basic Brewing Radio. I used to subscribe to all of them but narrowed it down to those two as the others just really didn't give me the info I needed.

Those are my top picks too. The Jamil Show is far on top, though.

... And I far prefer Basic Brewing Radio. :) I like and listen to both of them. The interviews with beer industry experts on technical and historical details are things you just can't get from Jamil's show. In other words, I feel like Basic Brewing radio provides a lot of perspectives whereas Jamil just presents his own. Plus, I feel like Basic Brewing Radio gets down to business and spends a lot of its time discussing content whereas Jamil spends a lot of time winding up.

Really, I view the shows as complimentary. I'm interested in learning to learn more about beer generally, and draw inspiration from some of the specialized topics covered on Basic Brewing Radio (yeast culturing, sugar experiments, HSA, etc.). If I were interested in brewing to style guidelines and competitions, I'd find the Jamil Show more useful.

I fail to see what's so great about the Jamil Show (and I'm a devoted listener to the Sunday Session, and I love Jamil's insight on certain topics such as yeast pitching and fermentation).

However, the entire show is worthless save for maybe 7 minutes when he's actually talking about the beer. This last Irish Red show...he talks for 15 minutes about how he drank beers at a bar the other night...who cares?

My vote is for the BN Sunday Session. I can't listen to Jamil anymore, his voice is too relaxing and makes me sleepy. To each his own.

The problem with the JZ show is every episode has his sidekick (forget his name) making snap comments and JZ retorting "Wellllllllll......blah blah blah" as a nice way of saying, "wow, you're so ignorant".

Example... "So this style have more emphasis on the malt".... "Wellllllllll.... actually it's an IPA".

The problem with the JZ show is every episode has his sidekick (forget his name) making snap comments and JZ retorting "Wellllllllll......blah blah blah" as a nice way of saying, "wow, you're so ignorant".

Example... "So this style have more emphasis on the malt".... "Wellllllllll.... actually it's an IPA".

Which is funny because the co-host (Jon Plise) not only helps run one of the largest homebrew shops in the country but is also borderline Ninkasi material - so you know it's just playing dumb for sake of the show.

Gabe, the manager at my LHBS, got the silly idea to start his own podcast... you can check it out if you dare... he mixes a little anti-establishment rant in between lessons, but doesn't beat you over the head with it. Very knowledgable guy! http://kennebechomebrewsupply.podbean.com/

I like listening to the Sunday Session as well. I never seem to catch it when it's live, I always download the podcasts later. They make for great workout listening or those long three hour car drives down to mom's house. The episodes involving the stripper pole were hilarious.

I listen to one of three on a daily basis, all for different reasons:

Basic Brewing Radio

Topic: Generally everything, never gets too advanced, hence 'basic brewing'.

The Good: After answering emails, it's pretty much all business and they are relatively short, so you don't get a lot of information that's too in depth for the given topic.

The Bad: Sometimes I question the opinions and expertise of the 'experts' James brings on the show, although he brings on John Palmer quite often which is awesome.

Sunday Session (Brewing Network)
Topic: Everything, both relevant to beer and completely irrelevant.

The Good: Pretty entertaining, gets more in depth than Basic Brewing. Very Long.

The Bad: Tons of banter, I'd say actual on-topic beer talk is less than 50%. Sometimes too long, haha.

Jamil Show (Brewing Network)
Topic: Each episode is a Beer style and Jamil gives a great recipe that correlates with it.

The good: Chock full of into. On average, The side banter is probably less than the rest of the shows and is usually semi-relevant anyways. Jamil is a god among homebrewers.

The bad: To hear Jamil's thoughts on something other than styles and recipes you'll have to go to the Sunday Show where he makes appearances.

Back