Poppet Valve grrr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbusAmongus

Reaction score
I kegged a raspberry wheat with real raspberries so a few bits made it into the keg. Once it was ready, I go to fill up a pint and it just dribbles out of the tap.

I thought a raspberry bit made its way up and clogged something so I took everything apart and cleaned it. Put it back together...dribble dribble. Gah, another chunk made it up so I thought...time to clean it again. There was definitely no fruit bits the second go so then I was thinking that I had a leak....

After checking everything over and over across a span of three days I finally looked at the poppet valves side by side and realized they were different and finally figured it out. Once I swapped them everything worked great. Ha, I never realized that they were different! What a fun learning experience.

Many used kegs do not have the correct poppets in them. Some are more interchangable than others. If you can figure out the keg maker, you should be able to get the correct ones for your posts.

This is my first and only keg atm. Is this common for the corney / soda kegs? I will have to take a pic on my phone next time I take them apart because I will never remember which one goes where!

Back