Using an older turkey fryer with ancient tank and regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I have an old turkey fryer which I tested out this week on a 7 gallon boil of cold water. I got the water to a rolling boil in approximately 40 minutes (up from 65F.). The current regulator and tank are old and I would like to replace the regulator and upgrade the tank. So my question is: Do I need to replace with the current style of regulator that is now on the fryer, or can I use a high pressure model? If I replace it with a high pressure one, will I need to re-jet the burner or will I be ok? I don't have a picture here with me, but the burner is red colored and much smaller in diameter than many of the burners I see in DIY systems posted here. As I said earlier, I achieved a rolling boil from 65F. in about 40 minutes, Is this timing decent or will a new burner perform better?

I am brewing AG now and use an indoor stove in my basement which works great, but I want to improve my setup slowly and move some brew days outside.

One more question: Can I purchase a regulator with a flame sensor for safety?

Salute! :mug:

No expert here by any means, but that boil time does not sound terrible to me. Remember, w/ all grain you will be going post sparge temp...say 160....to boil. Big difference from 65 as you did.

Back