Blichmann boil screen for pellet hop removal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I am hoping to get a Blichmann boil kettle for Christmas and was wondering if I should ask for a boil screen as well? I have read that they only work for whole hops, and that they only work for pellet hops. So which is it? Also for those with this pot, how do you attach tubing to the spout to transfer to the primary?

If by spout you mean the valve. You would need a 1/2" male to hose barb. I have the same question, a couple lines down from your post. I would imagine the pellet hops would be a much bigger issue.

I have a Blichmann with a boil screen, and its really nice with whole hops, but just like with any other boiling screen, plugs pretty easily with anything more than 1oz of pellet hops. If you whirlpool with a pump I would definitely bag the pellets, but if you whirlpool by hand and let it settle before draining, you would probably be fine.

mine clogs with pellets. Ihave made beers with 2 plus ozs of whole and 1 oz of pellets and it still clogged. I use a paint strainer for the rare times that I uses pellets. It works like a dream from whole hops though.

FWIW I use an inverted hinged false bottom at the bottom of my BK and it does a very good job of straining out the whole leaf hops. Once the hops hit the false bottom they create a filter bed much like in a mash tun.

The hop debris is the main reason I still use leaf as opposed to pellet.

Subject: Boil Screens Discontinued

Hello all – just a quick note letting you know that effective immediately we are discontinuing the boil screen for our BoilerMaker pots. We will be replacing it with a new product that we have developed and it has outstanding pellet hop performance. We were never completely happy with the performance of the boil screen so we began working on a replacement about a year ago. The new product will work on the 30 and 55 gal pots as well!

This new product will be announced and available for shipment in about 8-10 weeks. Will send an update as we get closer to the due date.

Sincerely,

John Blichmann

Blichmann Engineering, LLC

Subject: Boil Screens Discontinued

Hello all – just a quick note letting you know that effective immediately we are discontinuing the boil screen for our BoilerMaker pots. We will be replacing it with a new product that we have developed and it has outstanding pellet hop performance. We were never completely happy with the performance of the boil screen so we began working on a replacement about a year ago. The new product will work on the 30 and 55 gal pots as well!

This new product will be announced and available for shipment in about 8-10 weeks. Will send an update as we get closer to the due date.

Sincerely,

John Blichmann

Blichmann Engineering, LLC

Just got an e-mail saying it is for all pot sizes. So I will be canceling boil screen on Monday. He said the new product should be available in 8-10 weeks.

Crap that sucks I just got a boil screen with my new 10 gallon kettle. If anyone comes up with a trick to impRove the old school one please post an update.

I'm planning on brewing mostly IPAs with my new xmas boilermaker, so I'm definitely excited by the new boil screen. Sign me up!

Ugh. Had the screen plug up solid with 2 oz of pellets yesterday... I feel a bit ripped off I spent $40 on a useless and discontinued product. Hopefully there will be an option to "upgrade" to the new solution when it becomes available.

Ugh. Had the screen plug up solid with 2 oz of pellets yesterday... I feel a bit ripped off I spent $40 on a useless and discontinued product. Hopefully there will be an option to "upgrade" to the new solution when it becomes available.

I'm not sure of your process but I have actually used the screen with pretty decent results. I kill the flame and do any remaining hop aditions and whirlpool then let the wort rest for 10 minutes and run through my CFC. Hope this helps

I need to figure out something as with my first brew yesterday i got ALOT of hop material in the carboy (.75 gallons or so). I did a whirl pool and I thought I let it set for 10 minutes. The only problem was that it was hard to get a good whirlpool going as i cant stir all of the wort because of the thermometer in the brew kettle

I simply use a cheap plastic mash paddle and stir the Jesus out of the center in like a 3 inch circle? I am brewing again on Friday I will take a pic of the cone and post.

I haven't been able to clog mine yet, with reasonable pellet hop loads (the picture below is 4oz)

4307824104_d3cbec765f.jpg

10 gal and I whirlpool.

I really don't see how a 10 could clog the boil screen with any hop load, MAYBE on a 20gal with a large hop load and maybe an issue on larger pots.

I would love to take your word for that but it seems like others have had different experiences.

I have been watching for an update as well. Not a peep on their website about it. Perhaps they are struggling a bit with the final build. No small task to get a filter not to clog on a heavy pellet hop load. Add in cold break if you IC and it gets that much harder.

I have been watching for an update as well. Not a peep on their website about it. Perhaps they are struggling a bit with the final build. No small task to get a filter not to clog on a heavy pellet hop load. Add in cold break if you IC and it gets that much harder.

yeah, but I cant wait :D

Few more weeks, just email them, they will respond :)

Back