Stupid OG estimation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salad 419

Reaction score
I realize it will vary from the honey used, but I need an OG estimate for a 5 gallon batch of mead with 13.5 pounds of honey.

Yes, among the excitement of making my first batch, I forgot to measure.

I just transferred to the secondary and it was 1.003

I'm shocked because we only added 2 tsp of DAP and no nitrogen compounds. It tasted pretty good and should be great in a few months.

+1 on the recommendation to check Hightest's FAQ, and especially his spreadsheet. A very handy tool!

Also, DAP is a nitrogen compound (di-ammonium phosphate). It is not a source of organic (amino acid) nitrogen, and so is only usable by your yeast early in their lifecycle (about up to the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the primary fermentation), but it does provide nitrogen.

Thanks for the link, doing the calculation(I did it myself to double check), and to remind me that I'm a dumb ass.

That link was VERY informative. I don't know how I missed it. I spend hours upon hours on here and missed it.

I also thank you for setting me straight on the type of nitrogen available in DAP. I knew that DAP didn't usually provide enough Nitrogen, but didn't understand why. Organic Chemistry was nearly 20 years ago.

Back