I have a weird question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
We as brewers work with a lot of grains. So when I am milling my grains I have come across a few strange things. I found things like a small orange o-ring, plenty of rocks and the occasional bee. So has anyone found anything weird in a sack of grain ( fingers, bandaids, Jimmy Hoffa.)?

rocks, lots and lots of very tiny rocks along with some things I think are thistle seeds. Nothing to weird or interesting and (un)fortunately no Jimmy Hoffa.

Grasshopper leg bits are common. I raise wheat and barley. Anything that is about the same size as a kernel of barley is nearly impossible to separate. Many vegetarians (and wimpy carnivores:)) would be horrified to know how many bug parts they eat.

Funny someone mentioned rocks. Saturday my barley crusher drill and all was ripped from my hands scared the crap out of me.

Grasshopper leg bits are common. I raise wheat and barley. Anything that is about the same size as a kernel of barley is nearly impossible to separate. Many vegetarians (and wimpy carnivores:)) would be horrified to know how many bug parts they eat.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was cutting up peppers to make hot sauce. Every once in a while I cut one in half and there is a worm in there or it looks fine on the outside but is moldy inside, I discard them but do I think at the processing plant there is someone paying as close attention to each and every pepper as I do? Or even cares? Of course not. But then again they spray a lot on farms so they probably don't have as many worms.

stupid rocks. The ones I get are really tiny and don't cause too many problems but I think a slightly larger one would be a disaster. All of my grain is millet instead of barley so the contaminating rocks are much smaller.

Back