Finally using Beer Smith properly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have never really utilized all the functions of Beer Smith. I finally took inventory on all my brewing ingredients and put them into the program. When I put together the brews I want to do this weekend, I just hit the add to shopping cart list, and BAM, all the items I need were put in there. Everything I have as well as what I need to buy. Now I can remove all the items I don't need and print it out, and have just a regular shopping list. :ban: This is so cool. I wish I would have started using this much earlier.

Also I can "remove" the items from my inventory, with one click, and then my inventory will remain complete and current. I just need to keep doing it now.

Happy brewing :mug:

Yep. Can be useful.

Until you forget to update, remove, or god forbid remove twice after forgetting you had already removed....

I have always liked that feature.

The only thing now are the horrible calculation issues that affect the water used. Once those are fixed it might be good again.

The only thing I don't like about the inventory function is the inability to make changes to the AA% of hops. I think a good upgrade would be not just the ability to change the AA% in inventory, and then for the system to change the amount of hops you need by comparing the recipe AA% to what's in stock.

The only thing I don't like about the inventory function is the inability to make changes to the AA% of hops. I think a good upgrade would be not just the ability to change the AA% in inventory, and then for the system to change the amount of hops you need by comparing the recipe AA% to what's in stock.

Am I missing something? You can change the AA% for hops. Just change it before you make the recipe. Then adjust accordingly.

I might not just understand what you are saying though. Wouldn't be the first time.

You can change them in the recipe, but you can't change them in inventory. So, if your recipe calls for a bittering hop with 12% AA, and the hop you have in inventory is only 9% AA, you'll need more of it. You'll have to know what your real AA% for each hop every time you brew, instead of relying on BeerSmith, because you're going to have to adjust the amount and AA% every time you use a hop. There's no point in having a hop inventory if you have to override it every time.

Latest posts

Back