Meads/Melomels have frozen (OMFG NO!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugustDerleth

Reaction score
:mad:
So, I went out of town two days ago and I asked a friend to take care of everything for me while I was gone. I gave him strict instructions to turn the chest freezer on, and then to turn it off after about 2 hours as I do not have a digi therm (ranco), and just use the fridge's dial to hit my ideal temperature. This may sound weird, but it has worked well for me for over 6 months in this particular batch. I guess my friend didn't understand, because I just got back to my fridge still running, and 5 batches of mead (and the airlock liquid)......FROZEN SOLID. :(
1 other batch was kind of slushy-ish after gentle swirling. The temperature was 10 degrees for god knows how long. >_<

I sort of feel like kicking his ass, but I'm hoping that MAYBE mAYBE these will still be somewhat drinkable down the road. I mean I know that it will be flat as hell, 'cause everyone's frozen a beer before but this....idk.
Does anyone have any kinda light at the end of this about-to-kick-my-best-friend's-ass tunnel for me? We would both be happy if there is.
Any tips or ideas on how to fix this, or confirmation of whether this is FUBAR would be appreciated. I intend to drink them regardless, but I kind of feel like it might be pointless to continue letting them "mature" for anymore time, after this has happened. Thoughts? *sigh*

Cold and freezing has probably done them no harm as long as the containers have not cracked/burst. The only suggestion I would make before allowing the great thaw is to replace the liquid in the airlocks first so that will allow de-gassing and pressure change without blowing anything out the top.

Cold and freezing don't really harm wine/mead much except if they were full of yeast the freeze-thaw may cause some yeast autolysis, but that will usually age out with no problem. Heat and oxidation are bad news. If you had an active fermentation, it is theoretically possible that enough of the yeast would be damaged to stall it when thawed, but that's unlikely.

You're the brewer, why are you blaming your friend? ;)

Next time buy a heavy duty timer for $5 and have it cycle the freezer for you.

You've likely killed all the yeast, since the freezing liquid should have destroyed their cell walls. it'll be tricky getting fermentation going again...pitch a healthy, active yeast starter.

For the finished beverages, they'll be ok in the long haul.

Containers are intact. One of them had actually popped the entire airlock and grommet out of the neck instead of cracking.

And no active fermentation, these are all over 6 months old and have completed fermentation. I'm going to put them back in the fridge I suppose then, and let them sit for another six months.

Thanks again, Meds! Luckily, the Medical Meade wasn't in the fridge when everything froze! =)

You're the brewer, why are you blaming your friend?

I suppose because I was forced to leave and left him in charge and he happily agreed to follow my directions, and then didn't. . .??? It wasn't a matter of the actual "brewing" that was the problem.

Though a timer is a good idea in lieu of a digi therm contr, and I'm not exactly sure why I never thought of it. :p

Back