Over shot gravity by .022 on first barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RitsiGators

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I overshot my gravity on my first barleywine by .020. My OG was supposed to be a 1.100 But ended up being 1.122

Basically I was wondering if there is anything special i should do to make sure the yeast stays happy as i didnt think to dilute the wort until after i had already pitched!

It all depends on how many grams are in the packets of yeast. If they are 11 grams, you have more than enough yeast (2 would be good) and if they are 5 grams you would need 4.5 of them.

They were the 11g packs. I have a suspicion that the fermentation is going to go crazy as it is already going pretty strong!

Yeah, I know its going to be awhile till this one is ready to drink i have a feeling. I was following the CYBI recipe for the Nogne 100

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-nogne-100-a-178182/

But i thought I would get lower efficiency than normal and planned for 62% efficiency. It was quite a surprise when i ended up with 75% efficiency and a OG of 1.122!

Back