First kumis thread (probably)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meryre

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried making it? (For those who don't know, its basically wine made of milk). Does anyone know if it's supposed to separate like mine does? I mean, it's common sense, the lactic acid produced would curdle the milk, but it doesn't look as if the finished product is supposed to separate.

Btw it doesn't taste that bad.

As good as it sounds, Ill have to use my GF being lactose intolerant as an excuse not to attempt this. I would like to hear about it however. :)

Is that the stuff the ancient Mongols used to ferment from milk & horse blood? Never tasted it, never tried to make it; let us know how it turns out if you decide to make it. Regards, GF.

Horse blood? This keeps getting better!

Im running to the food store now!

I Know that they used to use ox blood to clear the wine, and pretty much any kind of blood to clarify the wine

any pics? what does it smell/taste like? I dont think I could get past the fermeted milk part. when the milk in my fridge went bad my roomate used to run around and make everyone smell it.

looks like its made from mare's milk.

Kumis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

looks crazy! check it out! some pretty interesting history there

Hmm according to the wiki link:
"In modern controlled production, the initial fermentation takes two to five hours at a temperature of around 27°C (80°F); this may be followed by a cooler aging period.[13] The finished product contains between 0.7 and 2.5% alcohol."

Only a few hours? I might have to try a gallon of this just for the heck of it! On second though, I wonder if any longer would cause the fats to go rancid. That's a little troubling. Anyway, sounds like you've already made it? Any tips? What kinda yeast and milk did you use (1%, 2%, whole?)? As far as separation, I'd guess that you'd want to rack the fermented stuff out from under the curdled milk. Just a guess, though.

I thought lactose was not edible by yeast. Does it use a different 'germ' for fermentation? Or perhaps cheese has .7-2.5 anyhow? Hmm, might account for some of the tang in the Provolone?

Like kefir, kumis is fermented by a culture containing both yeasts and Lactobacilli. The Lactobacilli are what breaks down the lactose.

Latest posts

Back