Betrayed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brundoggie

Reaction score
Before I went to bed Saturday night I checked my fermenter and my little yeasty babies were happily bubbling away. When I got up Sunday morning it was apparent they rioted overnight... the airlock was blown out of the carboy and thick, green foam had overflowed the neck and into the swamp cooler. After an hour of clean up and rigging a blowout tube the little bastards are still in revolt and producing rhino farts like there is no tomorrow, I don't know why the wee beasties are acting this way but I'm locking the door to the bedroom and keeping a spray bottle of starsan by the bed tonite.

What temp are you fermenting at? The crazy krausen blow out has never happened to me, but my fermenters have a good amount of headspace.

Welcome to the wild world of home brewing, not for the faint of heart. You have some healthy, robust yeast, a good thing! But, make sure to keep to prescribed temps for the beer style, an active, but too warm ferment can create some strange flavors, don't ask how I know :eek:

Swamp cooler keeps the temps around 65-70 with no problem. I think the problem is mostly lack of headspace.

We controled temps,used a blow off & everything on my wifes 1st batch of beer. It was a BB kit for a shock top clone. It wasn't plugged or anything,& when we both raised a glass of my home brew it made a loud,hard POP! the lid still blew off 3/4'ths of the way 'round. But just that once. Proving once again that shizz happens.

ROTFLMAO!!!
Threads like these are why I love this community! Congrats on such an active fermentation tho!!

I bet the smell was a very pleasant smell. God I miss those sleepless nights listening to my yeast churn.

Back