Poker table, upright keezer and other garage brewery necessities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtn_Brewer

Reaction score
I already posted my hood/heat shield and epoxy floor project https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-garage-hood-heat-shield-375755/

Here is some other random stuff to toss in for ideas.

Project #1 Poker Table

My first brew kit and my whole keg set were paid for by poker winnings, so poker table was an obvious garage necessity.

Materials:
-plywood 4 x 8 sheets x 3 (1/2 inch, 3/4 inch and 3/4 inch Oak veneer)
-poker kit from yourautotrim.com (speed cloth, vinyl, closed cell and open cell foam)
-Rockler folding table legs
-staples, various screws, t-nuts

I put this together based on a bunch of different plans I found on-line. A hand held jig saw and belt/finish sanders were the most used tools. From the standard 3/4 inch plywood, I cut the rail out first. The left over inside piece was used to make the root beer stand, (shown below with my son racking in cash on July 4th with the assistance of my jockey box). I then cut the 3/4 oak veneer to the outer edge of the rail. A 1 1/2 inch ring was then cut out of it and secured to the rail. This allowed it to fit snuggly on top of the racetrack (as shown in the first photo). You can also make this out in photo #2. The center insert ws then cut from the racetrack. Finally, the 1/2 inch plywood was cut to make a base under the other sections.

Spray on adhesive was applied to the rail and the 1 inch open cell foam was attached. I trimmed it and then cut, stretched and stapled the vinyl over the rail. I did this by putting the sides on firsst and then cutting the vinyl in fan-like projections and then stretching them individually back over the bottom of the rail. The 1/4 inch closed cell foam was then glued to the insert and the speed cloth was stretched over it and stapled to the back, which was much easier than working with the vinyl.

I attached the folding legs to the base piece of plywood using t-nuts.

The racetrack was stained and then coated with ~ 6 coats of semi-gloss polyurethane.

Finally, the layers were put together and secured by scews from below.

I built the shelf to get the table out of the way and safe from brewing mayhem. It's best taken down with a second person to preserve life and limb.

image-2506941898.jpg

image-3694528846.jpg

image-1662829360.jpg

image-1135566185.jpg

image-2614716038.jpg

image-1417942453.jpg

image-1510497000.jpg

It's pretty cold in Colorado in the winter, so I installed this 7,500 watt electric heater. I added the 240volt outlet and hung the heater by a large lag screw to allow a small amount of rotation to direct the heat. Despite all the calculations that indicated 2-3 times more watts for the space, it heats things up just fine and keeps it toasty for winter projects. I previously insulated the garage with 3 1/2 inch batt insulation and paneled it with plywood.

Photo Dec 22, 8 14 26 AM.jpg

The 6 tap kegerator is nothing that hasn't been seen before. The only significant thing to comment on was the door mod. I pulled off all the shelving from the inside of the door and replaced it with a piece of galvanized steel I had left over from the hood project. The CO2 tank has a dual regulator and I put in 2 x 3 outlet manifolds, so I can in theory serve at diferent levels of carbonation and/or force carbonate while serving at lower pressures. By taking out the shelves, I can easily fit 6 corny kegs inside. The chalk board is another piece of galvanized steel painted with chalkboard paint. That way I can stick magnets to it if I want.

Photo Dec 22, 8 15 29 AM.jpg

Photo Sep 27, 10 59 21 PM.jpg

Too many bikes is the bane of all garage projecters that I know. I bought these Leonardo bike hooks from REI and mounted them on a few pieces of left over plywood. I put down a 6 foot sheet of vinyl matting I got from home depot to catch the drips.

Photo Sep 16, 10 57 43 AM.jpg

A Budweiser dart board salvaged from a thrift store, a left over piece of plywood and another can of chalkboard spray paint resulted in a great way to stay busy during mash rests. It also gave my 8 year old son something else to beat me at.

Photo Sep 16, 10 57 25 AM.jpg

We all know the value of a happy wife, so I also spent some time insulating, paneling, putting a floor down and setting up shelving in the back room for my wife to get her stained glass studio set up.

Photo Dec 22, 8 12 14 AM.jpg

Back