Which grains to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTaylor

Reaction score
My LHBS is having their grain sale and I picked up a bag of 2 row and some crystal 40. What I wanted to know is what else should I be looking at if I like IPA's, APA's, cream ales, ambers/reds and saison's? Also will make the occasional stout or porter but have plenty of roasted barley and dark malts. I make 2.5 gallon batches and don't brew as much as I would like, so it does not have to be a large amount.

Thanks
Greg

Pilsner, maybe Belgian Pils for a Saison. Vienna is a nice addition to an IPA, maybe even a little in the cream ale. You may also consider a little Munich and maybe an English pale ale malt like Marris Otter, both of which work well in an Amber; the Munich is also good for added complexity to a Saison or IPA.

Bunch of 2-row, Maris Otter for the reds and stouts, maybe some Carafoam for body and head retention, whatever crystals your IPA recipes call for, and you won't regret having a bunch of Munich on hand either.

I would get a 50lb bag of 2 row, and a 55lb bag of Marris Otter. That will cover your main grain bill for a large majority of beers. Then pick up the smaller amount of grains for your next 4 brews. That's assuming you grind your own. If you are having them grind it, maybe you can make up 4 recipes, and see if they could vacuum seal them for you after they are ground.

Thanks, forgot to mention that I have some Munich. Will have to pick up some MO, carafoam and maybe some different crystal. Looking forward to more brewing this fall now that I have a store 2 minutes from my house.:D

Thanks, forgot to mention that I have some Munich. Will have to pick up some MO, carafoam and maybe some different crystal. Looking forward to more brewing this fall now that I have a store 2 minutes from my house.:D

Lucky you :)

+1 on Vienna and Pils.

Maybe a few varieties of crystal malts. Maybe wheat malt if you want to do a Hefe, but I liked a little in a Saison I just did.

Biscuit is a nice addition to pale ales (especially ESB), and Special B can add nice complexity to almost any style.

Back