Fixing Rusty Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilroy

Reaction score
Good day

I have discovered some rust on the inside of one of my kegs, I DID NOT use bleach or a chlorinated substance that I am aware of to clean my kegs.

I used OxyClean.

Speaking with a store owner this morning - he said that I should be able to re-pacify my kegs - to get the rust spots out and make it safe to use for my drinks again.

Any suggestions from the knowledgable folks out there, on how to make this happen?

THanks

Kilroy

Clean it good with Bar Keeper's Friend. You should be able to find it at the grocery store. It will clean and re-pacify SS.

THanks - I'll look for that.

Are you aware of any complications with using OxyClean on Kegs?

I have only ever used either OxyClean, Dawn Liquid Dish Soap, or 1Step for cleaning.

I put a little Potassium Metabisulphite in after cleaning to sanitize them. That is a wine making sanitizer that is often used in commercial wineries on SS tanks and equipment.

Just curious.

Kilroy

I've used oxyclean without any problems. I can't see how any of those things you listed would cause rust in a SS keg.

Did you cut the top off with a grinding wheel that may have left some sort of steel webbing inside the abrasive? And then let the said abrasive sit inside the keg for a period of time? Could that do it?

The Pol said:
Did you cut the top off with a grinding wheel that may have left some sort of steel webbing inside the abrasive? And then let the said abrasive sit inside the keg for a period of time? Could that do it?

This is for Cornie Kegs - not a brewpot

It's possible that somewhere in the kegs history someone used a steel brush.

It may have taken awhile for the rust to take hold.

If BKF doesn't work for you, look for a product called "Wonder Gel." It's really nasty stuff, but it works wonders (pun intended) for pickling stainless.

You can buy it online at www.mcmaster.com (perhaps generically referenced as "stainless pickling gel").

Back