Rice DME Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Had several of SWMBO's coworkers over for homebrew and BBQ pork sliders. My blonde typically gets compliments from the BMC crowd. These gals barely sipped theirs.

Looking at MoreBeer's kits I see one designed with people like that in mind. It comes with rice DME. Can that be used for a starter?

Hmmm....
I'm not certain, but I believe it's from Briess. I'll check their site.

Aren't there nutrients that can be used? Seems if it's for 1/4 lb DME 1 qt starters it wouldn't take much.

Next time these gals are coming over, go out and buy a few 6'ers of Leinie's Berry Weiss, or Magner's Cider, or something. Why waste your efforts on people who don't like beer?

It's still cool to brew...
I'm not exactly the type who need spats on the back, but it sure is nice when people ask, "Really? You made this?"

I've never heard of rice DME, although I have seen "rice solids". I don't think rice solids would be appropriate for a starter. I'd use light or extra light DME.

That's what I think of as "rice solids". Either way, it's great in beer but I probably would NOT use it for a starter. No real reason, except that I think that rice is light in nutrients and I'd rather have a starter ready to ferment maltose.

The rice wouldn't have been malted, so it's not "dried malt extract".

Had several of SWMBO's coworkers over for homebrew and BBQ pork sliders. My blonde typically gets compliments from the BMC crowd.

Your blonde you are referring to is the beer, and *not* SWMBO, right?

(dang, read backwards and somebody beat me to my punchline.)

Back