To bag hops or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven9026

Reaction score
Can anyone tell any difference in the hop flavor of their beers when bagging them vs pouring them into the kettle. I've always used a bag for mine to make it easy to remove them. Just wondering if any differences can be noted.

No, I bag them about half the time (when I don't forget). The only benefit is less gunk at the bottom of the pan to be siphoned into the carboy. Of course leaf hops will clog worse than pellets, but if you bag you can pull them out and not worry at all.

I'm wondering this as well. I'm only maybe 8 brews in and have been using muslin bags. My last few batches, I've been tying the bags on the very very end so the hops have room to move around and they aren't all bunched up.

In the long run, buying a big strainer to go over the fermenter will be probably cheaper than a crapload of muslin bags...but we'll see.

i used to bag, but lately I have been just tossing them in. I have started filtering my wort into a sanitized bucket before going to the carboy so I catch all the crap there and get clear wort in the fermenter.

I bag mine just because there is less gunk to mess with. I also use the nylon paint strainers to bag them. Just wash them out and they are good to go again.

The paint strainer bags are great, esspecially with pellet hops. The muslin bags are pretty useless unless you use whole hops IMO. The beer taste just as good when using bags as when I just throw the hops in. Clean up is the biggest factor for me.

Back