Finally got first beer kegged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ishraider

Reaction score
Woo hoo finally got my first homebrew kegged and tapped and had a brew night with a few friends. Went well beer tasted good after only 24 hour force carb with 30 psi. Now i realized my corny doesnt have a release valve so when i tried to drain the air with the gas line it just shot beer out everywhere. However i just poured the beer slow and eventually it came to a trickle after we had probably about 10 beers out which tasted good and had a decent carbonation.

I then tried to set the beer at the desired pouring PSI of 9 for my brown ale and it still shot the beer out all foamy. I have a very short pour hose probably about 8 inches long with a party spout...the beer has good carbonation but pours out extremly foamy. Anybody know why? Maybe the pouring portion of the hose is too small?

how long of a hose should i get then and will getting tubing from the hardware store (no hbs) work?

Well since I am fairly fresh to the kegging scene myself I hope somebody seconds this.

I would say 5 feet would do it that is what mine is and no problem. I would suggest getting tubing that is intended for beverage distribution. If no hbs is around then maybe online would be an option.

how long of a hose should i get then and will getting tubing from the hardware store (no hbs) work?

Get 3/16 ID beverage tubing. Start with 10 feet. Personally I find 10 ft of 3/16 perfect, and I carb to around 10 psi normally. Eight inches is sufficient for some things (most would say even generous) but not keg tubing.

haha well your right 8 inches im sure is sufficient for most things....ill go with the 10 feet then. Its only 2 1/2 and 3 gallons carboys does that make a difference in length of tubing?

Latest posts

Back