New brew sculpture question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NonstopHop

Reaction score
Hey everyone gotta question here. Just picked up a used brew sculpture that's plumbed and been running on natural gas. What do I need to know about converting to propane? Safety tips, equipment, opinions welcome. Would it be easier to just get my house plumbed with a NG out and keep this set-up? I've read a lot about converting propane to natural gas but not te other way around.

Thanks much,
Adam

Will depend on the burners, none of the piping matters only the orifice on the burner. Propane uses a much smaller orifice. Some burners will run both.

If you can outfit your brew area with a NG hookup, that would be ideal. You'll save money and hassle over time.

As mentioned above, if you want to convert to propane, you'll need to change the orifices. And you'll need a regulator. Do you have pics of the burners?

There are two on the stand and one extra, the extra I'm pretty sure is the same as the 10 tip that's on the stand.

image-234359213.jpg

image-1915063651.jpg

image-2322264327.jpg

Those are definitely low-pressure (NG) burners ... switching over to high pressure (propane from a tank) will be tricky. Each of those brass tips has an orifice; likely set to run on house pressure NG. You may be able to drop your propane down to house pressure, but then you may have issues with getting enough gas through the system. If you could get NG service, however, those burners would work very well.

Can I just replace the brass tips?

You can replace just the tips. That's an expensive proposition. One problem with those tips is they tend to seize and snap and then you have to try to pull them out with a screw extractor which won't work so you'll have to drill and re-tap and then go replace the band-aid you put on earlier when you ripped the skin off your finger when you lost your patience and said that bad word that you told your 3 year old never to say...

and no... mine are all grown up
a.k.a. been there, done that for customers

Back