Strainers For 5 Gallon Buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those strainers are nice and cheap too! Wish I had a use for one. I never strain anything when brewing other than through a false bottom. Never saw the need.

check these out, i purchased one of every size to try them out. they work great and fit on a 5 gallon bucket perfectly.the 400-600 micron work great the finer ones plug up pretty quick. easy to use and clean and sanatize.

EZ-Strainers™ - US Plastic Corporation :rockin::rockin:

Be careful, if you are going to use them as a hop strainer I bet they are not rated for use at 212* F.

check these out, i purchased one of every size to try them out. they work great and fit on a 5 gallon bucket perfectly.the 400-600 micron work great the finer ones plug up pretty quick. easy to use and clean and sanatize.

EZ-Strainers™ - US Plastic Corporation :rockin::rockin:

Be careful, if you are going to use them as a hop strainer I bet they are not rated for use at 212* F. A nylon bag would be a better bet.

Well, I hope nobody is pouring 212°F wort anywhere, for any reason. (Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.)

I think these would work great for straining your cooled wort as you pour it into a bucket for primary fermentation. If you are into that sort of thing.

I whirlpool the hot wort before it reaches the CFC and I have not had a problem yet. This would be a great way to filter the wort as it goes into the bucket instead of having to hold onto a small metal strainer. I might give one of these a try.

thats exactley what i use them for, to pour the cooled wort in to the
fermentation bucket. they do a great job straining out the hop sludge and cold break or if you want you can siphon the cooled wort into the strainer on your bucket to strain out any material that might get sucked up by the siphon

Well, I hope nobody is pouring 212°F wort anywhere, for any reason. (Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.)

I think these would work great for straining your cooled wort as you pour it into a bucket for primary fermentation. If you are into that sort of thing.

Lots of guys use bags for hops in their boiling wort as shown below. Paint Strainer Bags made of Nylon are safe in a boil but my point is that if anyone considered using the HDPE Bags mentioned by the OP they are not safe at Boiling Temperatures.

hop%20filter.jpg

The best tool for straining your cooled wort is a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag. Most home brew shops have some version of it.
It also works well for your steeping grains or in a BIAB setup.

Bull

You can also get them at Lowes or Home Depot. They are about $6 for 2 of them. Been using them for years

I use the EZ strainers. Not many posters on here do. Every time someone posts about the EZ strainers, someone comes back with "whirlpool" or "nylon paint strainer bag" or something similar. These EZ strainers are awesome. They are made to fit perfectly on buckets. I have many size buckets... 3.5, 5 and 6 gallon and they fit perfectly on each bucket. I dont use a bag for my hops. I always found it much easier to just toss them straight into the boil. I also don't have any holes drilled on my kettle. Just chill, pour through the EZ strainer into bucket, aerate (which the EZ strainers also do well) and pitch. Or if you use a carboy, funnel the goodness back into the carboy. The EZ strainer was one of the single best additions I made to my setup.

I use the EZ strainers. Not many posters on here do. Every time someone posts about the EZ strainers, someone comes back with "whirlpool" or "nylon paint strainer bag" or something similar. These EZ strainers are awesome. They are made to fit perfectly on buckets. I have many size buckets... 3.5, 5 and 6 gallon and they fit perfectly on each bucket. I dont use a bag for my hops. I always found it much easier to just toss them straight into the boil. I also don't have any holes drilled on my kettle. Just chill, pour through the EZ strainer into bucket, aerate (which the EZ strainers also do well) and pitch. Or if you use a carboy, funnel the goodness back into the carboy. The EZ strainer was one of the single best additions I made to my setup.

I don't use bags for hops either. Ihave been using my wife's kitchen strainer and just ordered one of the EZs - 600 micron. Seems like it will be much easier to use when pouring cold wort into primary bucket.

Is the consensus 600 or 400 micron for this use? I went with the 600.

I do the exact same thing. But I use 100 micron and it filters out all hops. I have to stir to get the wort through though.

Will be trying one of these. Just not sure on the micron. Is the wort slow to go through the 100 micron?

I don't use bags for hops either. Ihave been using my wife's kitchen strainer and just ordered one of the EZs - 600 micron. Seems like it will be much easier to use when pouring cold wort into primary bucket.

Is the consensus 600 or 400 micron for this use? I went with the 600.
i put a 400 on the bucket first then i put the 600 on top of that, 600 filters bigger stuff and the 400 filters the rest

i put a 400 on the bucket first then i put the 600 on top of that, 600 filters bigger stuff and the 400 filters the rest

I do the same -- it's only an extra $4 to get a second strainer if you're buying one anyway and you'll have to pay the shipping regardless, so why not? This method speeds up the straining and minimizes need to empty strainers while you're straining.

Having used the EZ Strainers a few more times now with some hoppier beers, I find that I generally have to stop pouring and clean out the strainers at least once or twice, so it is not entirely painless (and I'm still trying to master doing the necessary slow pour from my 10 gallon brew pot, with intermediate stops to clean the filters, without dripping and spilling a beer worth of wort). But on the positive side very little trub makes its way into the fermenter, and my beers have been much clearer since I started filtering this way.

The last few brew days I've used just the 600 micron, without nesting the 400 underneath it, and I'll probably stick with that as a reasonable compromise between extracting sediment and the hassle of stopping to clean out the strainers.

After reading "Brewing Great Beers," I have come to the realization that my hop utilization has not been that great. So I planned to stop using hop bags but worried about the excess trub and resulting loss of beer. This sounds like a way to have my hops and drink them too! I'll give them a try.

Back