How does this sound???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
Brewerd 10gal of a 1.055 lager today. Have my starter (700+ billion cells) chilled and ready to pitch once I do a trub dump and aerate. But what if I do this...
I decant all the liquid off the starter, leaving me with about 800ml of slurry, fill to 2L with fresh wort from today's brew, let it start up tonight, then pitch the entire thing tomorrow morning???
Now if I do this, would I want to do it at lagering temp? I made my starter at room temp.

You can add to your starter and pitch later.

I wouldn't leave it at room temp anymore. I would have it primary fermentation temp.

Sounds great, have done that with one exception, being diulate the wort you take off down to 1.030ish so that you are not hurting the yeast. Too much sugar puts alot of pressure on the cells walls of the yeast.

the other thing to think about is are you doing a full boil or are you topping up with cooled water. If you do a full boil then it is OK to delay pitching by 12 or so hrs. If you add non boiled water to your wort to top up to 5 gallons then you are introducing alot of microbes that then have a 12hr head start on your yeast.

I can (pressure cook) wort left over from every brew I do (I rather did as my house hold goods are being shipped to PA at the moment so I don't have any stocks) I then used diulated canned starters that best matched the brew I'm doing so I can get the yeast to high krausen using similiar wort so when I pitch all the starter wort I don't have mixed flavors.

Clem

Yooper said:
I always pitch ASAP. Are you waiting for your wort to chill, and that's why you can't pitch yet?

The wort needs to get to 50 before I can pitch. I also like to let any break material settle and do a dump.

Clementine said:
Sounds great, have done that with one exception, being diulate the wort you take off down to 1.030ish so that you are not hurting the yeast. Too much sugar puts alot of pressure on the cells walls of the yeast.

Clem

I already made the starter, why would pitching into a normal gravity, smaller size, batch be different than pitching into the full size? I'm just thinking that I'd give the yeast about 12 hours in a sample of the wort so as to wake them out of their slumber so they can get right to work. I crashed the completed starter on Monday morning.

Back